Solved: Windows 7 Clean Install Not Updating

Discussion in 'Software' started by the mekanic, Aug 28, 2016.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Well, I've been through the headache of updating a clean install and thought I'd save everyone the trouble I dealt with. What I discovered is that upgrading the update tool's version from the SP1 .iso image's version of 7.5.7601.17514 (Nov. 2010) directly to the latest version 7.6.7600.320 will slow updates to a crawl or worse.

So, the steps to getting Windows 7 to update normally from a clean install are as follows:

1) Download KB3083710 and KB3102810 and save to a flash drive. (64-bit OS)

2) DO NOT connect the machine to be imaged to the internet.

3) Complete the W7 SP1 OS installation. Select the "Ask me later" about updates just to be safe after the license key is entered.

4) Install KB3083710 from the flash drive. A restart will be requested.

5) Install KB3102810 from the flash drive. A restart will be requested.

6) Connect to the internet, and continue updating manually.

7) After completion, remember to choose "Update Automatically" or whichever option you prefer.

Hope this saves someone else a ****load of headache...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks, hopefully that will help someone else.

The thing is, whichever routine you use to get WU working, it doesn't work for all machines, it's a lottery.

dr.moriarty likes this.
  3. the mekanic

I reinstalled a couple of times, and the first thing Windows did when checking for updates was upgrade the Windows Update Agent. It really was the common denominator. This walk through is like going for the jugular. After the individual upgrades to the tool manually, the update process worked in the blink of an eye. It really seems like the Agent can't handle being updated directly, and skipping versions of itself.

I would hope this process would solve most of the clean install update issues from an SP1 .iso image.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    AtlBo likes this.
  4. the mekanic

Final report:

All is updated and functioning normally. The whole process took about six hours, instead of days and waiting overnight for Windows to figure out what updates it needed, let alone downloading and installing them.

AtlBo and dr.moriarty like this.
  5. the mekanic

AtlBo likes this.
  6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

mekanic...

Thanks for the link. It's not working for me. Got a time out. I've had problems with OneDrive and links, so I don't know if it's me or the link. If you made it public, I guess it's on my end somehow...

7. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

The link takes me there. Haven't tried to download. The same link in other thread(s) has also always worked. WIn 8 & IE11.

AtlBo likes this.
  8. the mekanic

Downloaded the .iso in less than fifteen minutes via broadband. Def works.

AtlBo likes this.
  9. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I tried this on my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and it's a no dice.

I just stopped worrying about it.

Not worried about updates any how.If any thing all them up dates make the system worse not better.

AtlBo likes this.
  10. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

How can patching your OS with Critical updates make it worse?

AtlBo likes this.
  11. Anon-469e6fb48c

Be cause some of the updates bring bug issues that tend to break things.

It's like any kinda MMO game when they do a weekly patch to fix some thing.Some thing else tends to break in the process.

12. dr.moriarty

Don't encourage anyone to be as lax as you are when applying critical updates issued to fix operating system vulnerabilities.

13. Anon-469e6fb48c

Dude how many times do i have to say it.Stop.

I know what the heck i am doing.

And i have zero security issues.

I don't get virus or malware.Like every one else does.I have been dealing with OS systems since windows 1.1 and Dos.

I read up on every thing be for i apply it.

14. dr.moriarty

How many times do you have to be told... This site promotes giving helpful, accurate problem solving advice, including topics like SAFE PC use and maintenance; NOT risky practices that will result in un-patched and un-secured machines ready to dump all of their contents or be held for ransom.
    You are free to operate your PC as you see fit, but will NOT be allowed to give advice that is harmful and dangerous.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  15. AtlBo and Eldon like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds