Windows 7 Continuous Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by sk3erkrou, Feb 4, 2013.

1. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

Hello, I originally posted here closer to the beginning of the year.
    I am running a Samsung laptop with 64 bit Windows 7. Since the middle of December, I have probably reinstalled Windows 5 times on my computer. The same thing happens every time. It will work fine for a few days, then start to have some slowing down issues. After that, the computer will start freezing anytime I try to do something. I will load it in Safe Mode and scan with everything I have: Advanced System Care, Malware Bytes, Spybot, Avast. This will fix the problem for another day or so. Then it will stop loading in normal mode. I will scan things again, but it will stop loading in Safe Mode.
    I really have no idea what to do. I cannot afford a new computer, and I am at my wits end with the problems. I need to have a working computer for my job.
    Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and have to fix/prevent it from happening again?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

Correct. I never supplied an error code because I could never get the computer to give me an error code. From what I remember it said everything was fine.

4. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

Just as an update. The most recent time my computer was reformatted was this past Sunday. As of last night and this morning, it is freezing when loaded normally after 5 to 10 minutes, regardless of how many programs are running (the most being 2 so far). The computer does run fine in safe mode, however.
    The only programs I have installed on the computer are: Google Chrome, Calibre (an ebook managing program), Microsoft Security Essentials, Advanced System Care, and uTorrent. These are all programs that I have always had on my computers, with the exception of Mirosoft Security Essentials, I used to use Avast!.
    I have read somewhere that if a computer runs fine in Safe Mode, but not when loaded normally it could be a driver problem. I downloaded all of the drivers from the Samsung website according to my laptop's serial number. The only ones I have not installed are LAN and HDMI because I never use LAN and do not have HDMI. I have installed the drivers for my sound card, video card, WLAN, bluetooth, and touchpad.

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

6. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

No, I do not have both Avast and MSE installed. I used to use Avast, but I decided to give MSE a try, so I only installed MSE after reformatting the computer. Unless Avast would stay installed after a complete reformat, then this would not be the problem.

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

What service pack is the Windows 7 you are running? When you reinstall windows are you doing it from an install disk or a recovery image?

8. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

Service pack 1. I am using an install disk that came with the computer.

9. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Sounds like it's not a virus if you've reformatted multiple times. Have you ever vacuumed the dust bunnies out of your laptop? Dust is a killer. Does your laptop become hot to the touch?

After starting the computer start your Task Manager (Ctrl Shift Esc), choose the Perfomance tab, click Resouce Monitor... at the bottom. In the Resource Monitor select the Overview tab (likely already there). In the CPU panel sort by Average CPU, in the Memory panel sort by Private kb.
    Go back to the Task Manager, choose the Processes tab, sort by Page Faults (click View> Select Columns> Page Faults if it's not visible).

Go about your business and check in on those from time to time.. The resource monitor will tell you what program is hogging the most CPU and what's hogging the most RAM. In the task Manager's Page faults is bad if you have a program that runs very high (is a rapidly climbing number).

Post what the highest CPU usage offender is, as well as anything that takes a lot of memory and the one or two highest Page Faults with their values (rounded numbers is fine).

10. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

I will dot that when I get home this afternoon. I have not cleaned out the inside of the computer before. It also does get warm, but only around the vent, and not more than any other computer I've felt that was working properly.

11. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Two suggestions

Open a command prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW and after that runs see if it helped. SFC scans the windows files and replaces any that may be damaged. Reboot afer it completes.

If that doesn't help, would it be a big problem to rebuild the machine once again install NO additional software even anti virus. If your machine runs OK for three or four days take a RESTORE POINT and load the anti virus software and run for another three or four days. I think we need to take it one step at a time until we find the problematic component.

12. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

I believe I have done the sfc /scannow before and it found nothing wrong, but I will try it again.

I would be inconvenient to have to reformat again, but it's not like I can really use the computer at all right now anyway. When you say no additional software, you mean install the drivers and that's it?
    I wouldn't feel very comfortable using the internet without some sort of antivirus.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that Dropbox is installed on the computer as well.

13. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I totally understand your discomfort with operating a machine without anti virus, but we are troubleshooting what appears to be a difficult problem to isolate. If your machine should happen to get infected with a virus in four days, then nothing much is lost you just may have to reformat and start over again.

Yes, I mean install the OS, all service packs, all updates and all the drivers and nothing else. I think I need to "see" the machine run as plain vanilla.

You could also wait for a better suggestion from someone else on this forum. I'm sure others have ideas.

14. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

Jconstan, I will try an earlier reply to use the Resource Monitor first, then run the scan you suggested. If that doesn't turn anything up and I reformat it again, do you think it would be OK to install Microsoft Office since I need that for work?

15. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

I am doing this right now for the second time. The first time, I opened the monitors and then opened Chrome to go about my business, but the computer froze as soon as Chrome opened and had not unfrozen in almost 20 minutes. I restarted the computer and am now in Internet Explorer.
    In Resource Monitor, iexplorer.exe has the highest average CPU usage. In the Task Manager, iexplorer.exe has 214,000 page faults, CCC.exe has 152,000 page faults, iexplorer.exe has 135,000 page faults, and dropbox.exe has 49,000 page faults. Does any of this help you? I'm going to try opening another program, which has previously always caused the computer to freeze, so I'm posting this now in case that happens. I will update if it doesn't.

16. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

Okay, utorrent.exe now has 118,000 page faults, but iexplorer.exe is still the highest average CPU usage. I'm going to close Internet Explorer and try Chrome again to see if it freezes again.

I opened Chrome and everything seemed fine until I tried to type a Web address and everything froze so I couldn't check the monitors.
    From my phone

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  17. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

I restarted the computer and tried to run the sfc scan. When I typed it in it says "you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."
    Did I do something wrong?

18. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Right click on the CMD icon and select "Run as Administrator".

19. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

I did this and the scan said there was nothing wrong. I did uninstall Chrome, however. Could that have been the problem?

20. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

If that's what you need to use the machine for four days then yes. One step at a time so we can understand exactly what happens when the machine fails.

21. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

I uninstalled Google Chrome and installed Mozilla Firefox instead because I hate Internet Explorer. My computer has been running for almost an hour now, back to better than it was when I first reformatted it. Is it possible that Chrome was causing a problem somehow? Maybe since it was an updated version?

22. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Just hang on and see how the machine performs for the next few days.

23. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

My laptop started having the same problems again last night, so I am going to be reformatting it again tonight. If it performs well for the three or four days with no extra programs, do you think there would be an order to try installing programs, or should I just pick a program and try it?

24. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes and after the install and install of the hardware drivers, do check with your PC maker only if there are updates for your model, do not use any driver finding applications.

Check in Device Manager that you have no yellow ! marks and see how you go for a few days, if you do need MS Office then use the online version as this just uses an internet page, Office Web Apps needs you to login with a Microsoft Passport account but these are free (Hotmail, Live or Outlook), if you only really need Word, Excel and Powerpoint.

I would post back if your Laptop is ok for three days with no issues and let us know, what your main applications you need are to be installed and we can go from that list.

Rule of thumb will be anything Microsoft is likely to be ok, if its compatible with your Windows version and has no issues, even minor, can check compatibility HERE

Has this laptop been dropped or heavily knocked at all?

25. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

No, the laptop has never been dropped or heavily knocked.

I download the drivers directly from the Samsung website after having entered the laptop's model number. I will post back if everything is still working in a few days.

26. sk3erkrou

sk3erkrou Private E-2

I ended up getting the laptop reformatted on February 8. I have been using it mostly like I have previously, except for not having all of my programs installed. I did install Microsoft Security Essentials becuase I absolutely do not like using the internet without some sort of protection.
    Since reformatting, the computer has been slower than I thought it should be, having been completely reformatted. It has also frozen a few times on me.
    Also, isn't it possible that if this is being caused by a virus that the virus stays on the computer because of the Windows.old folders where all files are saved from previous installations of Windows?

27. starrekin61

starrekin61 Private E-2

If you have a flash drive, you can download a firefox/open office/anti-virus programs from http://portableapps.com/

They have a good selection there and that way you wouldn't have to install anything other than the operating system.

If you don't have a flash drive, you can even install them to the cloud (like google drive, sky drive, etc.).

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds