Windows 7 desktop icons being annoying

Discussion in 'Software' started by BitByte, May 16, 2010.

1. BitByte

BitByte Private E-2

Hi. Ever since I got my new laptop a few months ago, about once every 2 weeks all the icons on my desktop reset. The last time I use the computer everything will have been the way I like it arranged. Then, when I start the computer the next time, the desktop loads with all my icons on the left hand side, all bunched together.

This is very annoying because I can't find a single reason why it would be doing this.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and 'Auto-arrange icons' option is unticked, and always has been.

I hope this can be resolved since I'm getting pretty annoyed about it.

Thanks.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Have you unticked "Align to Grid?"

3. BitByte

BitByte Private E-2

I unticked that 'align to grid' for a while, but the icons were reset again anyway, so I've ticked it again since it doesn't seem to be the problem.

The weird thing is this destop reset only happens about every 2-3 weeks. I googled the problem and nobody has the same thing...

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Wondering if you have desktop cleanup ticked? I seem to recall it somewhere in the desktop properties tabs ....probably with the choice of what you want on it, but its in the tab to choose to display My Computer, My Network Places, etc. Well, maybe not in Win7.

5. BitByte

BitByte Private E-2

That's one of the first things I thought of when I realised it kept occuring. I tried looking for the option to turn it off, like in XP, but after looking on the internet for the option's location it apparently is not even implemented in Windows Vista or Windows 7.

I also thought that it might be as a result of Windows Updates when new ones are installed, except this seems to be happening at random. I ruled out that possibility now that I have been installing the updates manually and it never happens when I've just installed updates.

It's really annoying since I have lots of icons on my desktop and findng them when they're not in my prefered order is difficult.

6. fixrite

fixrite Private E-2

It's not just Windows 7. I have Vista and my icons reset after every reboot. It is annoying. I had "stardock" on my computer (it lets you organize the icons into specific groups and hide them etc.) since I removed stardock, my desktop has never been the same. I untick "align to grid" and "Auto Arrange" but they are always re-ticked after I reboot.
    A solution would be much appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds