Windows 7 error code 80070005

Discussion in 'Software' started by szeto, Apr 29, 2012.

1. szeto

szeto Private E-2

Hi,
    I have been having error code 80070005 for about 3weeks now and have tried a lot of the solutions posted in various forums but no success.
    I am running windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
    I am running my computer as administrator since it is a home computer.
    Did have a virus issues a couple of weeks ago and this forum helped me get the system back.
    The update issue started after I got the system back.
    Now I cannot get the automatic update every time I click on check for updates.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Since you recently apparently had some issues a couple of weeks ago with your Dell Vista 64-bit, MSE and Windows Firewall; the problem may have originated by some conflict (within the built-in Windows Defender program itself) since you evidently installed and/or were consequently using Comodo and/or Panda, as well.

A Possible Solution Here: Although the "title" of the following MSKB Article ID: 918355 does not include your error code; there actually is a portion is the article that talks about the error code 80070005 popup you keep getting on your Dell Vista, and that article offers a possible solution as to how to fix it.

You could also try clicking on the Microsoft Fix it popup "dialog box" which reads:
    This troubleshooter: "Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update" may automatically fix your problem. (btw, be sure to disable any pop-up blockers you may be using)

To view MSKB Article ID: 918355 Click Here... How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

Good Luck! -- COMP

3. szeto

szeto Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Just got the solution from one of the windows forum. Apparently the virus I had and the fixes that were applied made the files in c:\windows\softwaredistibution read only and hidden.
    First from the folders option checked the bubble to make files and folders visible.
    Locating the softwaredistribution folder I right click on organize at the top, chose properties and then unchecked the hide and also the read only bubble.
    Restarted the computer and now I can check my updates.
    Will wait a couple of days to make sure the automatic update also works.
    Clarification, I have Dell running windows 7 not Vista.
    Thanks for your response.

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Just got the solution from one of the windows forum. Will wait a couple of days to make sure the automatic update also works. Clarification, I have Dell running windows 7 not Vista.Thanks for your response. szeto <<

Oh that's just great... I'm so glad that you were able to find the solution so quickly in one of the windows forums - this made my day, really! ;)

And thanks replying back, as well as clarifying about your Dell being "Windows 7 not Vista" (byw, sorry about that szeto!)

Good Luck -- szeto

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds