Windows 7 Failed to Start

Discussion in 'Software' started by busterboy777, Sep 15, 2011.

1. busterboy777

busterboy777 Private E-2

We have ten new Dell OptiPlex 780 computers in one shop that all have Windows 7 Professional. Five of them got a black screen with a message "Windows failed to start: a recent hardware or software change might be the cause." On-screen instructions said to restart the computer with the Windows disc, choose language settings and click on "Repair your computer." I used the Windows 7 DVD and it fixed the problem.

Later, each of the ten computers had multiple Microsoft updates (including Windows 7 Service Pack 1). After rebooting the computers, seven of them have come up with the same black screen message. This time the Windows 7 DVD did NOT fix the problem. I am guessing it won't work because Windows 7 is now "SP1" and my DVD is not SP1. Safe Mode takes me back to the same black screen.

I have attached a copy of what the message said. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Boot the Windows 7 install DVD and go to the command prompt.

Then:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

3. busterboy777

busterboy777 Private E-2

Thank you for the quick response. I tried the solution provided on two computers but I got the black screen again with different files and status.

1st Computer: File: \windows\system32\drivers\amdxata.sys
    2nd Computer: File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

I would reimage them but I'm afraid I'd have the same problem again.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Two different computers with two different errors. Not sure what to do other than use the startup DVD and go into the command prompt and try

chkdsk C: /f

This will fix any errors

chkdsk C: /r

This will try to fix any bad sectors on the disk

I am not sure if this command is available on the Windows 7 DVD.

At the command prompt.

fsutil dirty query C:

This will tell you if the files system checks clean or dirty.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490641.aspx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds