Windows 7 fails to run with a second HDD plugged in.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RastaJon, Oct 15, 2011.

1. RastaJon

RastaJon Private E-2

Hey guys,

I need help with a strange issue I'm facing. I have just upgraded my rig, each time I do this i have a little routine i go through with my 2 HDDs. I move all of my game files, documents etc to one drive and remove it for the box. I then format the drive thats left inside, install Windows, drivers etc. Then plug the other drive in and tidy it up.

The problem is I now have Windows up and running but as soon as I plug in drive number 2, Windows sticks at the Welcome to Windows screen (with the logo that slighty moves) and will not go any further.

I just can't get my head round it.

Things I'v tried:

Plugging both drives into a different combinations of sata plugs they are currently in SATA_3, SATA_4 (1 and 2 are 6Gb/s and my drivers are 3Gb/s)

Making sure the priorities are correctly set in the BIOS (I'v completly removed drive2 as a boot option)

Any other suggestions? I have a feeling its something stupid I'v overlooked.

sys spec:

i5 2500 @ 3.3
    ASUS P8P67 rev 3.1
    Corsair Vengeance 8Gb
    HDD1 (boot drive) MAXTOR STM3260310AS
    HDD2 MAXTOR 6V200E0
    HD 5850 1Gb

2. RastaJon

RastaJon Private E-2

Ok I'v figured out a work around what has worked, so I'll post it incase some one else needs it.

I un plugged the second HDD.
    Then booted up into the BIOS and enabled Hotswapping on SATA_3(the one i was plugging the drive into).
    Started windows and the plugged in the drive.
    Windows now sees the drive and will reboot as normal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds