Windows 7 glitch?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobeit, Jan 18, 2012.

1. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi all.
    Decided to give windows 7 a go after sticking with xp for years.
    Jury is still out but it seems ok so far.
    One problem at the mo.
    I get the beep to say all is well then a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left.
    After some messing I have discovered that it is when I have a usb pen or extenal hdd plugged into my usb hub.
    Why is this and can anything be done?
    Cheers.

2. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

sometimes a bios update for your mother board can cure it but it's quite a common problem on some older boards my last pc build used to do the same thing i never did get to cure it

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Your BIOS is set to boot from USB drives before your hard drive. Open up your BIOS setup and change your boot order, if possible, or leave out USB drives when starting your PC.

4. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the replies.
    I'll look see if there is a bios update.
    Just Playin, i'll check the boot order but as I get the post beep and then it happens I doubt that is the problem.
    Doesn't the beep mean the boot order has been checked and the OS been found?
    As you say, I can leave the external HDD unplugged but that is a pain, I just want my drives to be available on start up, not messing about plugging stuff in.
    Oh well, it will teach me not to upgrade in the future.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

A single beep at post usually means that the BIOS detected no hardware problems at boot time.

6. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Oh right.
    Might just put up with it for now.
    Thanks all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds