Windows 7 Help Moving To A Different Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chairman Wood, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Chairman Wood

Chairman Wood Private E-2

My Windows 7 OS is currently on a 56 GB SSD. I believe I would like to run it and everything on my computer from either of my 458 GB regular hard drives.

The reason for doing this is because I do not have enough space to operate or make updates to Windows 7 on my SSD. Six months ago, I sought out and received some excellent help in attempting to get the amount of used memory of the SSD down in the thread below.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/hard-drive-space-problems.296225/

In the end, we decided that it couldn't be done. Each time I freed up space, it would somehow be gobbled up and I couldn't make an update to Windows 7. Grad school started again, I became very busy and had to put off fixing this problem. Now I am off for the summer and have time to address the issues again.

I would just now like to move the OS to a different drive and be able to operate the computer without space restraints. Some questions:

1. Is this the best idea? Is there any other solution that wouldn't involve purchasing expensive hardware?

2. Is there a step by step list/guide that I should follow? Similar FAQ's and guides have been extremely helpful here in the past.

3. How do I do this?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you might be able to give. You all have been incredible in the past.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Chairman Wood likes this.
  4. Chairman Wood

Is there a good guide on how to use this?

So far I've done the following:

So I've installed the software. I open it. I click on Drive under Cloning. I select Source drive to be the SSD in question, then click next. I select the Target drive to be the 1 TB HD and click next. I click next again after options and accepting the defaults. Afterwards, I get a pop-up that asks to Adjust Partitions. I am unsure what to do here and I click skip adjustments.

A pop to Start Copying process appears. I click Start Copying

Attached Files:

5. Chairman Wood

That is a good idea and it is nice to know the prices have fallen. I'll give it a try after I try it on the regular drive.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have a look over here.
    https://www.miray.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Usually, when you copy a smaller capacity drive to a larger capacity drive, the latter will have unallocated space. You can then use a free partitioning program to fix that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds