Windows 7 Home & Windows 7 Starter Differences?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

What would I not be able to do using Windows 7 Starter that I could do using Windows 7 Home?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Two things: change the desktop and watch DVDs.

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

That's one reason I'm not considering buying another netbook because if windows 7 is installed, you get the starter edition.

I do know people have installed Home and Pro versions but to me paying more $$$$ to buy the win 7 OS I want will put a netbook cost over the price of a laptop with it already installed.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi have a netbook and Starter is ok, however as I have MSDN account I have all versions of Windows at my fingertips so did install Home Premium on it and you really need 2GB ram to run it ok, which my netbook has, but Starter is OK for what is a quick easy to use PC with no frills.

If wanting more power from a portable and Media Center ect then a netbook is not the way to go, seek out a small general laptop with Home Premium pre installed as their are many and you do pay a premium for a netbook over a general laptop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds