Windows 7 inexplicable BSOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Awesomebob, May 21, 2011.

1. Awesomebob

Awesomebob Private E-2

Not sure what's going on. Few months ago I suffered massive system instability while playing one particular game: Mass Effect 2.

I tried everything I could think of, and narrowed the stop error down to my web cam?

Last night I was messing around with AA3 and it happened again:
    System crashed and stopped responding, ctrl+alt+del would not work, alt+f4 would not work, only pressing reset worked and that caused a long string of crashes / restarts / window system restores.

I finally was able to get in and online to come here and beg for help!

I attached all the minidumps that where created last night.

Attached Files:

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Bob,

They're both ntfs_file_system BSOD's:
    Judging from your comment about crashes, restores, etc., I'd guess your drive is in pretty bad shape.

See Caliban's tutorials for running chkdsk, once that's completed, do the SFC /scannow, that's on the same page.

3. Awesomebob

Awesomebob Private E-2

Took a while for both scans. Watched a chunk of the chkdsk and was shocked at the amount of errors that came up, among them "usbcam@2.sys". Thought I took care of that last time. I can't find where the log for the chkdsk is, but here's the log from the SFC /scan.

Attached Files:

• CBS.zip
      File size:
      315.7 KB
      Views:
  4. theefool

theefool Geekified

chkdsk doesn't typically have a log, unless you were to redirect the output to a file, such as:

chkdsk c: /r > log.txt

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds