Windows 7 installer missing.

Discussion in 'Software' started by dragonlady, Apr 7, 2015.

1. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

Hi guys

I am in desperate need of help. I had loads of issues with Malware etc which Kestrel (she's brilliant) sorted out for me. But..... during the malware removal, I had to delete as much as I could of my AV software. Now i can't reinstall it because I get error 1719 - windows installer Service could not be accessed.

I have unregistered and then reregisrered msi - that didn't work, I did an sfc scan, that came back with no errors, so i thought I'd download tweaking.com as mentioned in another thread here, that downloads, but will not run. I need to get my AV software back on my machine!!! HELP.:crybaby

2. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

I will admit to not running the registry part - bit nervous of that bit - but I have done it now. However, I didn't get the option to run as administrator, just to merge, so I merged the file and it came back saying that it was ok. I rebooted just to be sure - didn't fix the problem.

I redid the registering and unregistering bit just as said in the link you gave me, that did nothing,

and in the services part, I have windows installer is started, not running as the link states. so I have got precisely nowhere. If you can advise on what to do now I would be very appreciative because I don't want to have to do a reinstall of Windows 7 because I have noted elsewhere in this forum that that doesn't always cure the problem and I have stacks of stuff on my laptop.

But if you say I have to I will.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

How did you "delete" your AV? It was AVG? If you "uninstalled" did you use this afterwards -> AVG Remover 2015.5501

5. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

I tried deleting via add/remove programs, but that's when I discovered I had a 'bit' of a problem, so I used the AVG remover tool, but due to windows installer not working (I think) it didn't remove it all. So it still shows up in the processes on Task Manager and will not stop when I click on end process. So probably stupidly, I deleted the .exe file from windows explorer. It was the only way I could think of to stop AVG from interfering with Malware removal.

6. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

Eldon, I've just tried using the link you gave me and I get this error message:-

we're sorry, but the program encountered an error trying to contact the server. Please try again later. To download a utility to troubleshoot this problem click here (Code 80040154)', the click here link didn't work. So I will try again later, but what else is this laptop going to throw at me? (rhetorical question) :(

7. dr.moriarty

Let's look for left-overs, dragonlady

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
    Download Mirror #1
    Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
    • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
      Code:
      :filefind
      *avg*
      :folderfind
      *avg*
      :regfind
      *avg*
    • Click the Look button to start the scan.
    • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please attach this log in your next reply.
    Notes: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt. The scan may take a while from several seconds to a minute or more.

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Oh boy! Can I find some uses for that!

9. dr.moriarty

A very useful tool, indeed.

10. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

used CCleaner as suggested, but I stlll have no windows installer.

I have attached the log from SystemLook.

Attached Files:

11. dr.moriarty

12. Eldon

Do you have the Windows 7 installation disc?

13. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

Eldon - No I don't. but I can download one can't I?

14. Eldon

15. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

Dr Moriarty - I ran the Geek uninstaller and it gave 2 AVG programs - AVG PC TuneUp 2015 and AVG Web TuneUp and then forced removal of both and YAHOO it worked! I'm about to reboot, but I was so pleased i thought I'd let you know first. But I've not checked for windows installer yet, so I'll keep you posted!

But HUGE thank you for helping get rid of AVG! I've installed AVAST AV software now. I just hope its not frying pan into the fire! ;)

16. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

Still no windows installer, but I have to go and buy some DVD's to get an installation disc sorted. I can see why Microsoft don't want you to have the discs when you get a PC, but it is annoying when you're in the situation I'm in, especially as it costs a lot of money for the licence. Rant over!

I must give a big thanks to all of you that have helped me with this, I am assuming that the repair article you gave me a link to Eldon is what i should follow now. :)

17. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You can't any longer, not legitimately anyway, unless you already have a retail product key. If you have such a key then you can download Win 7 HERE. However I have read that if you only have an OEM key (on the CoA sticker on the computer case) and enter that on the same site, MS will, for a fee, send you a DVD. I don't know for sure this works or how much MS may charge but you could try it. Otherwise there are plenty for sale on Ebay.

18. dr.moriarty

;) Glad to help solve some of your problems, dragonlady.

19. Eldon

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  20. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

Good morning! I had already tried Tweeking.com, but it didn't work, it wouldn't launch, it gave an error message about not being able to create the shortcut Windows Repair uninstall. I figured that was ok, but obviously not. I tried installing and it came up with the same error message, and it still will not run. even in safe mode.

21. Eldon

Morning.
    The portable version of Tweaking.com - Windows Repair doesn't install. It doesn't create an uninstaller shortcut. You can run it from a memory stick/flash drive.
    You extract the contents of the ZIP archive to a folder, open the folder, and double-click the Repair_Windows file.

22. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

I did as you suggested, even daring to enter the dark realm of my sons' bedroom to download tweeking.com onto a memory stick and then running it on my laptop, but it still wouldn't launch.

I have no other option but to do a complete repair from the reinstall options that Samsung have thoughtfully put on my laptop, but I now have the chore of sorting out which file I want to keep, before repair! I didn't want to do that, but you guys have now been helping me one way or another for nearly 4 days, I'm sure you have better things to do, and I have to go back to work tomorrow.

I will however, come back and let you know how I got on.

But a massive thank you for all the help and tips you have given me. :-D

23. Eldon

Check if the Windows Installer is running.

1. Click Start, type Services.msc and press {ENTER}
    2. Double-click Windows Installer
    3. Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual
    4. Click Start to start the service.
    5. Click OK.

Have to break for a late lunch... :drool

24. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

hope you had a good lunch! I have reinstalled and fingers crossed all seems ol. The only fly in the ointment is I've misplaced my MSOffice 2003 CD all I wanted was outlook 'cos I refuse to pay to get Outlook 2010 (I have all other Office 2010 software)

Again thank you for your invaluable help, advice and time.

25. Eldon

Good for you!
    If you've down a reinstall, MSO 2003 is gone. But, if you did a repair and have not yet installed MSO 2010, all might not be lost. Let me know.

FYI I have both MSO Professional 2003 & 2007 in Windows XP & 7. But, I prefer to use EssentialPIM instead of Outlook. It includes a straightforward email client. And looks remarkably like Outlook 2003.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds