windows 7 internet sharing problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slimmatt01, Nov 29, 2009.

1. slimmatt01

slimmatt01 Private E-2

Hi i got 2 pcs runnin windows 7 64bit and want to share the internet connection. its a wired setup.. i have a virgin modem so am usin a crossover cable to connect the 2 pcs together.. it worked wen they had xp on it.

i just ran the wizard and was done.. but on windows 7 i can view shared files but no net.

theres a yellow mark on the network down the bottom right on the pc thats not connected to the modem directly.

thanks in advance.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Have you enabled internet connection sharing on the PC connected to the modem? It needs to be enabled on the network adapter connected to the modem, not the network adapter connected to the other computer.

3. slimmatt01

slimmatt01 Private E-2

yeah its all enabled. i think.. how would i check?

4. matheu

matheu Private E-2

slimmatt01,
    I am pretty sure you need to set up a home network on both pc's and use the password windows 7 provides to complete your network. Is that little yellow thing saying limited or no network when you hover the mouse? The network configurations are very different in Windows 7, as I am sure you have already noticed. Set a home network up on the primary pc, write down the password windows provides, then set up a home network on the other pc and use the password you wrote down to connect it. Windows 7 requires a passord.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds