Windows 7 | Outlook 2007 | Excess Messages Sent, Unfamiliar Addresses Auto-Populating

Discussion in 'Software' started by jane.doe, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jane.doe

jane.doe Private E-2

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

I'm unsure of which questions to answer up front to help you consider the situation, so please ask if I forgot something.

I'm running Outlook 2007 on Windows 7. My anti-virus is Norton 360 and I regularly run Malwarebytes.

My concern is two-fold:

First, when I attempt to send one message, it says I'm sending 4 of 4. I'm uncertain, but I think this number is an increase. Following instructions found on this board, I downloaded and installed OutlookSpy, looked for stuck read receipts in the indicated places, but both Associated Content and Get Contents Table were empty.

Second, I discovered two addresses in my address auto-population, both containing my full surname, the first three letters of my given name, and my middle initial. The first was @ymail.com and the second is @gmail.com. Both of these addresses are unfamiliar to me, especially since my surname and more so in combination with my given name and initial are literally unique (I'm the only one named so in the world, probably), and I'm concerned logs of some kind or my banking activity are being forwarded to these addresses. I tried setting a rule so that anything sent to one of those addresses would forward a copy to my inbox, but so far, I haven't received a copy.

I'm grateful for any insight you might be able to provide on either issue.

Thank you for your time.

2. jane.doe

jane.doe Private E-2

Re: Windows 7 | Outlook 2007 | Excess Messages Sent, Unfamiliar Addresses Auto-Popula

I'd like to bump this thread.

I'm growing increasingly concerned about these unfamiliar addresses appearing in my auto-complete when I pull from my address book. An e-mail to my mother, for example, whose address is abcde@example.com also brings up abcde.bcde@gmail.com. Or to someone else with the address abcde@example.com, it brings up abcde123@gmail or ymail.com.

Could this be some sort of spyware or virus? My scanners are coming up clean. I tried e-mailing these weird addresses directly to see if they were valid, and they seem to be going through. There don't appear to be any rules set for sending copies to these addresses, and there aren't any copies in either my Outlook or my webmail sent folders.

I'd be exceedingly grateful if someone could lend me their thoughts on this.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Re: Windows 7 | Outlook 2007 | Excess Messages Sent, Unfamiliar Addresses Auto-Popula

Grab this tool http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html
    Nirsoft is a clean site and has lots of useful programs.
    Remove all those addresses that appear in autocomplete that you do not recognize.
    When you send an email you should now see sending 1 of 1.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds