Windows 7 power issue. (mobo) Informational

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by motc7, Mar 9, 2010.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Not really a bug with Windows 7, but you might run into this.

I was having a problem the last two weeks where when I took my computer on the bus with me, that I would see the Windows 7 splash screen start up, but then it would just get stuck there. Ran CHKDSK /r which appeared to resolve the problem, but still it happened again the next time I tried to use it on the go.

Another thing i noticed was that on mobile, I could boot into safe mode and safe mode with networking, just not normal mode. Finally I noticed that things booted fine when I had AC power hooked up, so I thought maybe the battery is fecked, but it wasn't.

While I know many of you don't have this capability, I took my hard drive and inserted it into an exact model copy of my laptop and it booted beautifully. This means the motherboard is bad.

Just mentioning this because I know with the new OS many people just break down and buy a new machine, and mine is about 4 months old and this happened. HP 8730w Elitebook.

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Thats pretty odd Mr.Ace, but yeah I guess that would be mobo issues.

3. motc7

You recognize my dashing good looks there eh Listy? :-D

But yeah, two weeks of off and on troubleshooting drove me mad!

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Of course, I grew up with the Dwarfers lol

And yes, I can imagine how annoying that was, been there, done that lol

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas :-D

5. motc7

Princess Bongella, they'll be plenty of time for explanations later...and hopefully...some sex...

What a guy!

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Zis thread is starting to get off topic. Restore it at once or you vill be shot!

Anyway, back on topic: suggested solution: Hammer

7. motc7

Yes Herr Flick

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

LMAO omg it's like an 80's Brit TV reunion

9. motc7

I am sorry to report that the saga continues.

Had the mobo replaced and the same problem existed. Here is the run down of other tests.

*Took out each stick of RAM and ran it in either bay. works fine alone, but the two together, no way.
    *Ran the diagnostics on the machine in the BIOS. Only thing that failed was the battery, and when replaced it passed.
    *broke down and ran killdisk and reinstalled Windows 7 64bit. Same problem exists, but now a new one. With the battery charged at 50%, the battery light is flashing like it's at critical level and of course the same problem exists. Still will not get past splash screen on battery power, but does on AC power.

At this point I have called the warranty division and am returning the machine since I just got it here at work back in December. My thinking overall is that the whole thing is fecked beyond belief. I mean, it could be the HD maybe, but why bother?!!

10. motc7

Updated report.

It was a bad stick of RAM. Totally weird though, and never would have though it. Neither did the tech's.

FFS

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds