Windows 7 Pro, Licence but no CD ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by hullstorage, May 8, 2014.

1. hullstorage

hullstorage Private E-2

Hi all,

I have a HP Desktop with Windows 7 Pro OA and want to do a clean install but i dont have a CD but have the Licence key on the side?

Any ideas how i can get around this as i only have a Windows 7 Ultimate CD with no key on it?

Thanks

Simon

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The OA tag means it's an OEM system and as such should have a recovery partition which you can use to return the computer to its original ex-factory state. Check whether there is Recovery Manager under Start > All Programs and if there is then follow the appropriate procedure HERE.

The alternative is to see if the correct version download is currently available at Digital River. The key on the side of your machine will work providing you are installing exactly the same version as was on the machine originally.

Both methods will overwrite all your personal stuff so ensure you are fully backed up before you start.

3. hullstorage

hullstorage Private E-2

Thanks for your reply.
    Which one should i download as there seems to be a lot of them and dont want to use the wrong one?
    my tag says "Windows 7 Pro OA", do i download Service pack 1.
    Think i need 32 bit version as some of my software does not like 64 bit.
    Thanks

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Right click Computer > Properties. That will tell you what Windows version you have and whether it's 32 or 64 bit. It should be the one marked 'old', x17-24280 or 24281. You would be well advised to fully image what you have at present before going down this road, otherwise you could end up with no system at all.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Be advised that Windows 7 is a DVD not a CD. You need something capable of burning a DVD once you have downloaded an ISO.

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The installation DVD for Win 7 has all the files necessary to install any version.

You have a retail DVD for Win 7 Ultimate? Your OEM Product Key on the computer for Win 7 Pro will work for it because it's a valid product key.

When you start the installation, don't enter the product key. Instead, at the screen that asks which version to install, select Win 7 Pro and check the box confirming your selection. Once installation is complete, go to Windows Activation and enter the OEM Key from the sticker on your computer. It should then activate online. If for some reason it doesn't, you'll have to activate over the phone. But it should activate.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds