Windows 7 Pro Security Updates???

Discussion in 'Software' started by ColKorn, Dec 19, 2016.

1. ColKorn

ColKorn Private First Class

I just recently upgraded to Windows 7 Pro...

Somewhere I heard that MS Security Updates for Win 7 Pro must be acquired via
    some kind of circuitous method, as opposed to just a direct download--is this true?

I tried to get MS security updates for my authentic copy of Win 7 Pro, and the procedure
    just stalled....

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

With the July release of Windows 10 version 1607, Microsoft changed the way it's delivering updates.

Several of us had to resort to wsus offline update to "kick start" Windows Update in Win 7.

But, the last time I installed Win 7 Ultimate on one of my laptops, I had to resort to a different strategy because wsus didn't work quite as well as the previous time.

I used the info from this thread. After installing the first five updates listed, I ran Windows Update and within five minutes, it produced a list of 184 Updates to download and install.

ColKorn likes this.
  3. ColKorn

ColKorn Private First Class

Thanks for that tipoff, mdonah.

I assume your Ultimate solution should work for Win 7 Pro, too.

4. mdonah

It will work for ALL versions of Windows 7.

5. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

I had to download a "hotfix" to get microsoft security essentials to work again #kb981889 an its works ever since.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

crookedbandit, please explain in more detail. I have two computers running Win 7 Pro and two running Win 7 Home Premium. MS Security Essentials NEVER stopped working on any of the four computers.

7. mdonah

I have one running 7 Ultimate and one running 7 Enterprise. MSSE has never stopped working on them either.

8. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

the "hotfix" was because security essentals wasen't updateing the latest security definitions and haden't for a while so I went on ms website an got a hotfix which allowed the program to update the latest definitions . (I'm running win 7 pro w/o sp1.) now it updates daily. it never stopped working it just never updated.

9. mdonah

Both of my Win 7s are SP1. The lack thereof may have been the reason you needed that "Hotfix".

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

All mine have SP1 also so you might have discovered what caused the issue on crookedbandit's computer. Thanks mdonah.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds