Windows 7 Running Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by spirittoo, Dec 10, 2014.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:wave I am doing a remote hook up on my friend's computer to see why windows 7 is running slow.

When ever you go to open something the Webshots picture on the desktop disappears. I tried using Windows7 manager ... it cleaned the registry, but locked up when I asked it to use the junk file cleaner.

I asked it to use Malwarebyte I got the security prompt ... but nothing after that. When using the browser it will lock up too. Sometime it will lock up during boot up. Sometimes it takes a while for it to open a program. However I am able to open my computer or the window update and it working as it should. While this is going on. So something is definitely up with the OS ... any ideas?:confused

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

How old is the computer? Could it be overheating?
    Get your friend to temporarily uninstall any anti virus, anti malware, etc. and turn off the firewall in Windows.

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

The computer is a couple of years old. Uninstalling and turning off those functions will do what?:confused

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

spiritto...

Maybe one of the startups is causing the problem.

Start->Search msconfig->run msconfig and turn off all startups. This will require a reboot to see if it solves the problem. If so, one of the startups is the problem...

After changing the startups but before booting, you can schedule a chkdsk /r that will run during the reboot:

Computer->Right click C:->Properties->Tools->Error Checking->Check both check boxes

Windows will check sectors to see if there are any bads, repair what can be repaired, and mark the rest of the bad ones.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

If there are two anti-virus they can fight and slow things down a lot. Sometimes remote desktop is seen as a threat and gets scanned heavily. The firewall is usually either you cannot get in or you can, but on rare occasions will cause a slowdown.

6. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Check Task Manager to see what is running, at least the machine will boot. Sometimes you can right click and end a malicious program in Task Manager, then get Malwarebytes to do its thing. Will the machine work well in safe mode with networking? Sure sounds like malware, but could be a hardware problem as well.

7. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Next time I do a remote with him I will try what you suggested. I will post the results.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds