windows 7 screen resolutions

Discussion in 'Software' started by arnie4, Dec 13, 2009.

1. arnie4

arnie4 Private First Class

hello to who ever reads this. seasons greetings too all!
    Here is my problem, i have just upgraded to windows 7, looks great to be honest, but i cannot seem to get the text the right size, the icons on the desk top are the perfect size, but the text that i read on web pages or anything i write is in tiny letters.
    This problem only started when i installed windows 7, on vista the words on the web pages were fine. . they look like maybe size 3 letters, i mean really tiny and seem to have like a shadow so of thing about them very blurry i would say and i have to squint my eyes to see the text properly. the text is the only problem, but its on everything, reading my emails to all web pages!
    thanks for any help in advance! Arnie.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display > Make text and other items larger or smaller what is the setting?

Was this install of Windows 7 an upgrade from Vista or a clean install?

Other thought is run throught the Cleartype setup, to load ist click Start and in the start search box type cleartype and it will show in the list as "adjust cleartype text"

Have you installed your graphic card drivers or updated them to latest version?

3. arnie4

hiya and thanks for getting back to me.

first question answer is medium 125%.

it was an upgrade from windows vista home premium. got it done on Friday myself and now am stuck.

not sure what you mean though when it comes to the graphic card drivers or updated them to latest version halo sorry!!

also a really don't understand the cleartype set up am really sorry, about this!! thank you for any help you give me !! Arnie

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hold the ctrl button and use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out until the text is your desired size.

5. arnie4

also doing the clear type thing just makes it even smaller halo, so that is no good !!

6. arnie4

Thanks for the advice, i have tried that already, and i have to keep doing it, every time i go on to a different web page. thanks though Arnie

7. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

IE8 has a button in the lower right-hand corner of the screen that changes the Zoom setting permanently, unless and until you reset it, so you don't have to keep changing it every time you go to a different web page!!! I keep mine at 125% most of the time, and it is perfect for text and image size. You can always temporarily change it for a particular screen, and change it back again. Great app!!!!

8. arnie4

i don't use internet explorer , i use Mozilla firefox always have and i have never had this problem before, until now when i upgraded to windows 7, i honesly thought windows 7 would be good, i must be wrong, i am running 8400 nvidia gs and it will not let me set the resolution like it was before i put windows 7 on here, am thinking vista s what i should have stayed with, thanks for the advice though, seems that am just out of luck and even majorgeeks cannot fix my problem, so it must be pretty bad. thanks again though Arnie!!

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

10. arnie4

am really sorry but i have no idea how to do that thanks also my bookmark tabs are tiny too mate!! thanks again

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to the start orb, type snip. Take a full screen screenshot, and save it. then upload it to the site I mentioned and provide the direct link here.

The direct link will be given to you after you upload it.

12. Imperfect1

That's exactly why I suggested IE8 -- because IE8 KEEPS the setting on all webpages, until/unless you change it. You might try IE8 --- and you might even like it.

Meanwhile, although I don't use Windows 7, here are some ways in Vista to reset the font size. Most of them should work in Windows 7 too:

1. DPI - Right click on Desktop, Personalize, On Personalization Page, go to left column to: Adjust Font size – DPI, DPI Scaling: Click on Large scale (120 DPI), and click Apply. (In Windows 7 you can also change the resolution (including font size) by going into Personalization, Display, and changing the size.)

2. IE8 - At the lower right hand corner of every IE web page, there’s a Zoom control that lets you increase the size of every web page, and it stays at that Zoom setting for every page. I keep mine at 125%.

3. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, General, Accessibility, Select Ignore font styles specified on web pages, check boxes and click OK, then Apply, then OK.

4. Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, uncheck all three:
    Reset text size to Medium for new windows and tabs, and
    Reset text size to Medium while Zooming, and
    Reset Zoom level to 100% for new windows and tabs

5. IE8 - Open Internet Explorer, click the Page button, click Text Size, and then select the size you want i.e. Large (Largest may be too large).

6. Ease of Access Center – Go to: Control Panel, and Explore all settings. Under the following heading, Make things on the screen larger, select: Change the size of text + icons. This takes you to the dpi settings screen.

7. If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, use command/ctrl + your scroll on a web page to increase the font size.

8. Magnifier – For those instances when you need to magnify a certain portion of the screen - go to Start, in the Search pane, type in "magnifier" + click the program at the top. (To read more about Magnifier go to Start, click "Help & Support" on the right hand side, type in "magnifier.") Magnifier is actually located at: Start, All Programs, Accessories, Ease of Access, Magnifier.

13. arnie4

Thanks for all the details, i have tried everything you have put on there and it still seems to compatible, the settings just don't do what they should. Is it me do i have a faulty drivers or something?? thanks again Arnie!!

14. arnie4

ive made a mistake , i have managed to upload it to here thanks again!!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  15. arnie4

here is the screen shot from the site thanks again!!

Attached Files:

16. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I don't believe you've said anywhere in this discussion what you have your monitor resolution set at. And, what size is your monitor, and what is it's native, or maximum, resolution?

17. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I was thinking the same thing. Right-click on a blank area of the desktop>choose Screen Resolution> and look at Display. Does it have your correct monitor model number?

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This is why I wanted a fullscreen size. Are you really running 800x600 resolution? I doubt it, as things look correct in proportion.

Not sure what to say otherwise, the screenshot looks perfectly normal to me.

19. arnie4

sorry about that, ok its nvidia 8400 gs the resolution right now is set at (1280-960)the native is (1440-900) its a 19inch LCD monitor. not so sure of the company name of it sorry!! the only thing i have found is the model number for the monitor (MW19E ) and (MW19E-AAA) thanks again!! Arnie

20. arnie4

no i am not running on 800x600, am running it on 1280x960 at the moment, why would i say i was running it on 800x600??, as i have never said that anywhere, the picture that i took for the site is the size of the text the real size of the text, i have to squint to read the bloody thing!! do you think i would be on here, if i thought i knew what i was doing with it?? thanks Arnie

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I can lay on the rudeness just as thick, if you really want. Do not bite the hand that feeds you.

I said/asked about the 800x600 because thats the size of the screenshot. I wanted fullscreen.

I am sorry that you feel the text is tiny, as I mentioned, it looks like the default size to me--perhaps you should use the accessibility options in the control panel to increase your text size.

22. arnie4

lets get this out the way, its not rudeness its fact, as i said to you that was a full screen image , its not something i did for fun, i am posting what everybody ask me to post, if you would liek me to be rude then fine, but i am not am just being honest.
    i have no reason to be rude as i need help. you asked me for details and i gave them, if you think it was rude then you don't understand people from the north west of England!! we are honest and we say what is asked of us, i come to majorgeeks for a reason, i have for a long time now and i have solved may problems by coming on here. thank you

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Im not going to argue further. One of two things are happening here--its not a full SIZED image (which is actually what I want), or your screen resolution is off.

Look at the file properties and tell me thats the correct resolution.

At any rate---I can see your image fine, everything is correctly proportioned. You apparently had accessibility settings setup in your last OS. Time to do the same in Windows 7.
    Firefox can be specifically set for larger font under the settings, and its permanent. I do not currently have it installed to give the direct path.

24. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

A characteristic of LCD monitors is that they normally render that clearest text, albeit smaller, at their native resolution. So, I suggest you try setting resolution to 1440 x 900 and compare it to 1280 x 960.

I'm a bit perplexed by the screen print you posted. I visited the website shown in your screen print and the text on my screen, viewing it with Firefox set at normal size for text, appears larger and clearer than the text in screen print even though my resolution is 1680 x 1050.

25. arnie4

i am totally lost now, i have no clue what your saying sorry. what do you mean with the settings of my old software?? really i am lost big time, and having trouble understanding, am not being funny or anything like that, i just don't know how to set it right for windows 7 . thanks for the help Arnie :)

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

27. Imperfect1

Great video Adrynalyne! Now I know how to set larger Firefox fonts and save them permanently.

28. arnie4

thanks for the video, still no good. so am getting a new tower tomorrow and seeing what happens then, its got more things on it and its a 64 bit so it mite help thanks again for the help!

29. arnie4

Hello again yes i know its me, i thought it would be sorted but guess what, yes i know its now sorted. the text is still tiny and i have a windows 7 now. don't seem to make any difference. am running, windows home premium, 64 bit, amd athlon11, nvidia geforce 6150se nforce430
    thanks for any help and here is a picture of the text as i see it now!

Attached Files:

30. arnie4

am sory but this is just getting stupid my text is tiny as anything even with new stuff!! ok my last few resolutions are , i just cannot understand why majorgeeks cannot fix a problem likie this as i am a nobody so please help if major geeks cannot fix it who can?? you are the best and have fix many other problems i have had but hey you cannot win them all seems like i am the only guy to stump major geeks thanks!!

Attached Files:

31. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You haven't stumped us.

There just simply isn't a problem here.

If the text is too small for your eyes (trust me I sympathize, my eyes suck too), then you need to make it larger in the browser.

We can't fix this issue for you, which you have confirmed to exist across two separate machines.

To this date, you still have not posted full resolution screenshots like I have asked.

You can upload them to imageshack.us and post a link for us to see.

The screenshots all attached to this thread are severely reduced in size, clarity, and resolution, but are proportioned correctly.

For example, one of your most recent attachments is 846× 635.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds