Windows 7 Sp1 Won't Update After Clean Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by spirittoo, Aug 29, 2016.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Windows is activated and registered. I have windows update set to download, but let me decide which updates to install. When I ask windows to check for updates nothing happens ... the green just moves through the bar ... I even waited over night allowing it to check, put still nothing happen. I tried several different things. I went into msconfig and checked hide all Microsoft services under the services tab and disabled all ... nothing.
    I went to this microsoft page to manually reset Windows Update components and followed the instructions but still no go ... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 Some of the dll failed to load ...'gpkcsp' slbcsp' 'wuaueng1' wucltui' muweb' and some loaded but stated the dll regsrv was not found. Like 'gmgr' browseui . It stated to skip step 4 if the first time, but since it didn't work I tried step 4 ... when I entered the first command to back up the systemroot I got an 'access is denied' ... I opened the cmd prompt as administrator. I also installed the latest update agent still no go.
    I downloaded and install some updates manually ... KB3161664 ... KB3020369 ... KB3145739 and KB976902 ... and Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.2 still no go. Any ideas ... This is the FX8120 system.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Eldon already posted!

4. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I tried to install those updates listed while off line and I got a message that they were not applicable to my computer.o_O

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

6. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I did try the troubleshooter, the result were it could not fix the problem, but I will check out the other link you provided and see if that will help ... thanks.

7. JosephF

JosephF Private E-2

As I recall, though it has been some time now since I installed Win 7 for the last time, you're supposed to do an update of Windows Update during the first run of the... guess? - Windows Update :D.
    It is possible that it is stuck somehow and not downloading this update correctly. Try this if you still haven't - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you read the original post, the OP has already done that.

JosephF likes this.
  9. JosephF

JosephF Private E-2

It appears this sentence:
    has eluded my sight. Apologies.

@spirittoo
    Which of the two machines are you attempting to update?

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

See here at the end of the OP's first post:

11. JosephF

JosephF Private E-2

I'm gonna have to get some sleep :).

Anyhow, have you maybe tried this (http://www.wsusoffline.net/) tool? Haven't used it myself, but guys over at superuser tested it multiple times without any issues. Give it a go, and if it works do tell since it would be good to have something like this should I ever find myself in a situation like this.

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Probably because the Windows Update Agent has already been updated to the latest version.

Have you tried it from scratch as per the instructions in steps 2 and 3?

Windows Update Agent CANNOT be uninstalled. You need to start over completely.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  13. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Question on

6) Connect to the internet, and continue updating manually.

What updates am I suppose to do manually? How do I do that?

14. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

15. the mekanic

Simply go to Start>Control Panel>System>Check for updates

16. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Okay ... this is what I did. I used mini tool 9.1 CD to format the drive. Then I did a clean install of Win7. After activating windows I told it to ask me later about the update settings. While off line I installed KB3083710 that I saved to my slave hard drive. Did the reset as requested by the software. Then I installed KB3102810, and also did the reboot. I connected to the internet and I asked windows to check for updates, but got the same green moving through the bar with nothing happening. I opened IE and when it ask me to update I told it to do so. After that was installed I went to windows update and there were 174 updates ... after those were downloaded and installed, 12 more update came through.

Problem Solved ... Thank to all those that took the time to post. :D

17. the mekanic

It normally takes up to 20 minutes after a clean install for Windows to specify updates (green bar changes to download button). In total, there can be up to 250 after a clean install.

There is also a rollup package which I have not tried yet.

You're welcome.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds