Windows 7 stuck in reboot loop..help.

Discussion in 'Software' started by KevinR225, Mar 3, 2010.

1. KevinR225

KevinR225 Private E-2

Daughter was using skype video (like she does every day) to talk to her fiance overseas. According to her, it said something about a problem with internet explorer and just shut down.
    She tried to reboot it, but it gets as far as the mouse pointer after the splash screen and powers down and then reboots. No warning or system is shutting down notice, just boom. As the mouse is coming up the screen goes black, the monitor goes into power save mode, and it reboots.
    I've been using the old XP system that was on another drive in the same computer since this happened and it doesn't seem to show any issues, so I don't think it's hardware related.
    I did end up getting a trojan infestation on the XP drive in the days after the windows 7 crash, but in wiping that out I ran the scans on both drives, and the only bugs seem to be on the XP drive, so I don't think that was the cause.
    I've tried all the safe mode options and they all reboot same as normal start does. I've tried the repair option and the sfc /scannow with no luck.
    It says a scan is already scheduled, so reboot windows and then run sfc again. Problem is I can't get it to boot. I'm thinking the original shut down triggered a scan at boot, but it can't initiate it for some reason.
    If I could turn of the scheduled scan at boot, maybe I could run sfc successfully. Who knows.

As far as I can tell from the WD scan I ran, the drive is fine. I can access all the files from the drive from the XP system.

Other than the nuke the install and reload option, I am running out of ideas, and I want to avoid that if at all possible.

Any ideas?
    If I could at least get it to boot, I could do more.

Thanks,

Kevin R

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Whilst the computer is booting, do you get a menu choice to select either XP or Win7?

If you do, then look for the "press F8 to access advanced options" choice in the menu. Press F8 with win7 selected and in the menu you get select "Last known good configuration". Press enter and allow the computer to try to boot. This will not affect any of your files or programs. If this fails to help please post back.

3. KevinR225

KevinR225 Private E-2

No dual boot option at start. Since I was migrating from XP to 7, I never intended to use XP much. I just change the start drive in bios if I ever need to get into it.
    I've tried the last know good config, but either there wasn't one or it didn't help because it still just rebooted. I've tried so many of these now, I'm not sure if I used F8 to get there, or if it was when it comes up and says windows had issues when it shut down and offers the other boot options for safe mode. I've tried every option on both, and the all shut down at the same point. I've even tried bootsect /nt60 c: from the command prompt when booting from 7 disc under repair option to see if that would help.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

In this case you need to press F8 repeatedly once the BIOS screen has vanished.

Please do this on next reboot and select "Safe mode". This will test if it is a driver fault.

5. KevinR225

KevinR225 Private E-2

Used F8 after BIOs screen.
    Tried safe mode, safe mode with network, and last known good.
    All resulted in power down and reboot after it gets past the W7 splash and mouse load. Can even move mouse around the black screen up until it shuts down.

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Based on this and the fact that XP is okay I would suggest booting from the Windows 7 CD and attempting to use the repair features located there.

7. KevinR225

KevinR225 Private E-2

I have tried that, and it says it can not be repaired automatically.
    The logn doesn't list what the problem is, just unknown.:(
    It's looking like I may not be able to avoid nuking the whole thing.:cry
    Hopefully since the drive is partitioned with C: for the OS and programs, and the D: for data, I can do a custom reload of the OS without messing with the data.
    Still hoping for an alternative though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds