Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 or 64bit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by EXOX3, Jan 2, 2010.

1. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

A mate offered to buy me Windows 7 Ultimate, to install on my machine, as I am currently using Windows XP Pro SP3 (32-Bit), but my 3.6GHz CPU is a Pentium 64-Bit, so I gather that means I can use either the 32 or 64Bit versions of Windows 7? Or does the 64-Bit require more than just the 64Bit CPU? My System is a P5ND2 SLI Deluxe Asus Mainboard, Radeon 3850 PCIe videocard, 4GB Memory, 160GB HDD partitioned into C:\ 30GB D:\ (120GB), ATA HDD, SATA DVDRW.

Which is the best performing and stable OS of the 2, does one have more features than the other?

Also my hard drive is partitioned, I have over 100GB data on the D: partition, but would like to make the C: Parition a little bigger, is it at all possible to do this without damaging the data on either partition, or is a fresh format required? even If I could get rid of the D: partition all together and make C:\ the whole 160GB would be wonderful, as I did not do the partition, came with it already laid out.

Cheers in advance!

Kind Regards,

Dave

2. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Looks as though my setup is not supported by Windows 7, either versions! sadly I downloaded the Windows 7 software to check my systems compatibility and it came back with bad news! ugh! I was looking forward to an OS upgrade as well, party poppers!

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, aside from the compatibility check, for future reference, go 64 bit so you can use all your ram if you are using 4gb or more.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds