Windows 7 update fail and crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by cheekbones3, Dec 13, 2014.

1. cheekbones3

cheekbones3 Private E-2

I'm having problems with this week's Windows Updates. The automatic ones that came through this week appeared to break my computer - I ended up in a startup repair loop with no resolution, and ended up starting afresh and doing a rescue installation of Win7.

I'm back to the point now where I've tried to catch up with the zillions of updates, and it's not completed them properly - the failure errors I've got are:

Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB973688)

Installation date: ‎13/‎12/‎2014 03:28

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 643

Update type: Important

Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973688

AND

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB954430)

Installation date: ‎13/‎12/‎2014 03:12

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 643

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128803.

Also, these:
    WindowsUpdate_dt000
    WindowsUpdate_80242014 (maybe just means they're pending?)

I'm paranoid about restarting in case I end up with BSOD again - help?

2. cheekbones3

cheekbones3 Private E-2

Hmm, I bit the bullet (die to actually having a restore point set-up this time), and things seem to be going okay. Fingers crossed. Still puzzled as to why the updates killed Windows earlier in the week though - just one of those things?

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

I know that kb3004394 has a recall.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Things happening like this is why I yun about 10 days behind on updates. If I catch a bug because of waiting, it can be fixed. If updates cause a crash, it has to be fixed also. Either way is a pita.

7. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

ImandyMann...

I go a good two weeks I guess. This is acceptable for me since I have an image to work with and then files backups.

On this topic, I had a problem with KB3011780 for Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago. I installed it by itself after it came down right after I was done installing all the other updates from November. I installed the update and then everything seemed fine. Ran for an hour or two and then explorer.exe crashed and programs wouldn't start. Thought I was really stuck, so I managed to system restore to the point before that update, and the PC was normal.

I reinstalled the update, and I haven't had any problem since

8. cheekbones3

cheekbones3 Private E-2

Thanks for the info - I've learnt my lesson! The update had me getting BSOD whenever it tried to recover. At least this has all ended up giving me a kick up the backside regarding backups and automatic updates, and has provided a timely system refresh.

All appears to be working again now, still reinstalling software... :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds