Windows 7 ...upgrade from Vista Home Ultimate

Discussion in 'Software' started by Schaeffdog, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Schaeffdog

Schaeffdog Private E-2

I have read all the info re: Windows 7 and am ready to upgrade. There is one thing that bothers me. They say there is no longer WinMail/Outlook Express which is my default email. I like WinMail and want to continue to use it. I know you can download it after you upgrade to Windows 7, but my big concern is what happens to your email addresses, inbox email, sent mail, drafts etc.. How do you retrieve this info...does it move up with the upgrade.

Thanks, Schaeffdog

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thanks. I'm going to be helping someone go from Vista to Win 7 and was concerned because there is no email program.
    He used XP a lot longer than Vista so Windows Live Mail, which is similar more to OE than Windows Mail should work well for him.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I use OE on my desktop system and Windows Mail in my laptop. I haven't used Windows Live Mail yet but I don't how Windows Live Mail could be any more similar to OE than Windows Mail.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You are right USAF, Windows Mail is really Outlook Express in disguise. Windows Live Mail is a rather different animal, requiring you to take out a Windows Live ID before you can use it, and sporting an online calendar.

It is rather nice though, and I was rather sad to have to abandon it because it wasn't handling IMAP with my ISP's servers at all well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds