Windows 7 upgrade on a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by grunty, Nov 9, 2010.

1. grunty

grunty Private E-2

Hi, I have windows vista installed on the hard drive that came with my PC, i want to replace this but have lost the disks that came with it, i still have the product keys though.

Is it possible to install the upgrade version on a new hard drive at all?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

1/ If you insert your Windows 7 disc , and upgrade your Vista instatalation, and buy a new hard drive, you can use Seagate disk wizard to clone the drive (free DOWNLOAD, AND USE) to the new hard drive- there are other clone tools like acronis, etc: but I have successfuly used the Seagate tool to clone a hard rive , and in fact, clone it to a smaller hard drive- but with that you have to be careful.
    2/ The upgrade , when upgrading Vista, would then make the Vista version extinct, if it is an OEM version, so you may find difficulty, should you want to install your version Vista , again- possible but , seemingly Microsofts rules.
    3/ If your clone your present hard drive to the new one..........., then update on your new hard drive, then (I do not think or a minute you will want to go back to Vista, personslly) but if you did, you still have your original hard drive setup, and, you may then never get a problem, of windows calling home,and perhaps stopping it working in the future.
    4/ Imaging your hard drive to dvd, to reinstall later could work, then upgrading the hard drive, but , beyond that I am not sure , as Microsoft has got very tight, now, with its software.
    :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds