Windows 7 Video Loss And Do Not Know Why.

Discussion in 'Software' started by steeltek, Dec 3, 2016.

1. steeltek

steeltek Private E-2

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Those specs tell us nothing about what's happening on the PC when this 'logjam' happens.

Did you try any 'fixes' from that topic's links?

Here's another topic that should be useful.

3. steeltek

steeltek Private E-2

Yes I tried those fixes, found some other fixes as well such as rolling back to last known good driver for the video card, uninstall all nvidia software, install latest driver for video card, removed video card reinstall video card, wipe all drivers for video and start again, seems nothing works. Now on these latest crashes, I can still get my macro to work on my keyboard to restart the computer without having to remove power. When I look at the log, that is what I see most of the time now is the WMI error. So now I do not know whether or not is a video card problem or a WMI problem.

4. steeltek

steeltek Private E-2

Is there something else I can look at to see what is causing the video to stop?

5. satrow

The link I posted earlier... ?

6. steeltek

steeltek Private E-2

Ok, I promise I am not being purposely obtuse, I read the link that you posted and I understand that that it looks for hangups, but how do I exactly find that information on my computer. I followed the registry key :
    KeyPath : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    KeyValue : TdrLevel
    ValueType : REG_DWORD
    ValueData : TdrLevelOff (0) - Detection disabled
    TdrLevelBugcheck (1) - Bug check on detected timeout, for example, no recovery.
    TdrLevelRecoverVGA (2) - Recover to VGA (not implemented).
    TdrLevelRecover (3) - Recover on timeout. This is the default value.

Found the DWORD but that is about it. It seems I am not comprehending what this is telling me. When I look for System Error Dump Files at %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP and at c:\windows\minidump the folder is empty and this is how it is set up. http://prntscr.com/df0oh2

7. satrow

Removing or delaying the call for a graphics reset (which was also linked from the Reddit topic you posted) is about the last thing to try before using a new graphics card. Can you study the rest of that topic and the 2nd post, there are a number of other things that you need to check and test out (the drivers only procedure there no longer works, ignore it).

It's always easier (and potentially safer) for the helpers here if you attach any images, screenshots, logs directly to the post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds