Windows 7 will not boot - check cable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brannok812, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Brannok812

Brannok812 Private E-2

Toshiba Satellite laptop purchased new in June, 2012. The hard drive was replaced under manufacturer's warranty in December, 2012. Now it will not boot and has the following displayed:

Intel UNDI, PXE 2.0 (build 083)
    For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller V2.0.2.7 (11/02/10)
    Check cable connection!
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
    No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

I have tried to us F8 to get to the Windows recovery option and I have tried to use a Windows 7 Repair disc. No joy for either. I do not have an image disc. I believe that the hard disc has a recovery partition, but I have not been able to access it so far.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This
    indicates it is trying to boot from a network device.
    You need to press the proper key. get into the BIOS and set it to boot from the hard drive.
    If you do not see the internal hard drive as a choice, it might mean that the replacement hd has died too.

3. Brannok812

Brannok812 Private E-2

The hard drive appears to be toast. I pulled it from the laptop and connected it to another via a SATA/USB cable. The drive was not recognized. Sounds like it is spinning intermittently. I tried putting the drive in the freezer for an hour and connecting it again. Still no joy. I am very frustrated with hard drives. I have had three fail in the last 6 months in two different laptop computers. Any suggestions for data recovery? Not sure what else to try to get this drive spinning.

4. Brannok812

Brannok812 Private E-2

Some progress to report. I tried to connect the hard drive as an external drive again. This time, as before, I could hear the drive spin intermittently. I set the drive down on its side a little less than gently on a table. The drive spun up and I was able to read and copy data. Brilliant! Dumb luck strikes again.

Now what to do with the dodgy hard drive? I will put it back into the laptop for now, but I fully expect it to fail again. I can then perhaps send it back to Toshiba for yet another warranty repair. If it last until the warranty is up, then I am on the hook for another hard drive. I have a functioning, used hd that came out of another recently dead laptop. It has Windows XP loaded on it. If I have to swap out hard drives on my own, what is the best procedure? I do not have a Windows 7 installation disc, so how to get Windows 7 on the replacement drive? Data is backed up now, so transferring is tedious be I have lots of experience doing that task.

Again, all input is appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds