Windows 7 Will Not Wake Up From Sleep

Discussion in 'Software' started by CharlesE, Dec 1, 2016.

1. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

I have done a Google search on this problem and have checked and re-checked all of my computer's sleep settings. All are set so as to enable mouse or keyboard wake up from sleep. I have checked my bios for any settings that would inhibit wake up from sleep.

Not only will my computer not wake up from sleep, but when I restart it after sleep (I must do a power off restart) it will not start properly. It prompts to resume Windows and then locks up. I can get out of this loop only by turning power off again. Other than this problem the computer works properly.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name CHARLES-PC
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model XPS 8700
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A11, 7/9/2015
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume5
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name Charles-PC\Charles
    Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 24.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 19.8 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 47.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 43.4 GB
    Page File Space 24.0 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

One thing to check is -is there a bios update for this pc.
    Another is did this happen after an update - if so can you get system restore, to go back before the last update, or, the one before.
    Lookin Event viewer to see if it will give warnings, and do a screenshot (in windows 10 you have a snipping tool to do this -type in snipping tool in search)and upload so that we can see it- right click computer, click manage, click event viewer. Any exclamation marks etc: will open up the log.
    Take a look at Microsofts site - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/266283
    Bios update 2015 - read the whole page first , and read again if you have not done a bios update before, before attempting a bios update.
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=TDDNW
    BIOS Update Executable for Windows/DOS

Download
    1. Click Download File to download the file.
    2. When the File Download window appears, click Save to save the file to your hard drive.

Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment
    1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file.
    2. Windows System will auto restart and update BIOS while system startup screen.
    3. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment if Legacy Boot Mode(Non-Windows users)
    NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS USB key. This executable file does not create the DOS system files.
    1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key.
    2. Power on the system, then Press F12 key and Select USB Storage Drive and Boot to DOS prompt.
    3. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located.
    4. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  3. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I have the latest bios. That Microsoft link does not apply since I have Dell mouse and keyboard drivers. Since these drivers have not changed before the problem started, I don't think they are the cause. I have done many Windows upgrades since the problem started so system restore would not help. I will consider doing a wake-up effort and uploading the event log.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I cn only think of anything similar happening to me when I finally sorted it, it turned out to be a partial update that did not install properly - I seem to remember running 'chkdsk /f/r ' , and sfc /scannow as administrator, then, memory fades, but I think that did make it restart and the update actually started installing as it fired up - but it was a while back.

5. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Select Control Panel>Device Manager; Expand Keyboards; Right click device; Select Properties; Select Power Management; Check box to wake.
    Do the same for the mouse.

6. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

I have run scannow. My disk drives are without detectable problems. I really would not know how to find a partial update that did not install properly. I looked at my update history and found nothing like that.

StruldBrug,
    As I said in my original post, I have checked all of my power settings and they should allow wake up with mouse or keyboard.

I will just have to do without using sleep mode.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would think you found this page from Microsoft - it lists several checks, and possible causes :-Bluetooth mouse and keyboards etc
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/266283

You could try this, as it seems to happen in w7 and 8

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2921066
    Says for Windows8, but from what I have read it could fix the problem on Windows 7-but I have not tried it.

I checked on Dell forum and someone with Windows 8.1 had a similar problem, and this is what he found- might be helpful - suggests home group could be problem -

8700, windows 8.1, on but won't wake from sleep
    - DELL FORUM http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19536458/20515676#20515676

• [​IMG]
        Posted by suprman602
        on 11 Feb 2014 1:12

the computer will not sleep if joined to a home group. Once you leave a home group and let the computer idle, it will sleep. Now, the other bug I've found is that in Advanced power settings there is an option under 'Multimedia settings' to "Allow computer to sleep" when sharing media. I thought changing this alone would do the trick when still joined to a home group, but it did not work.

To leave a home group, you must disable the IPv6 TCP/IP protocols on both your network and wireless adapter properties first. This can be done in Network and Sharing Center -> change adapter settings in the upper left -> right click both your network adapters and click properties for both. This is where you will find the IPv6 checkbox to uncheck. Again, this must be done for both adapters (ethernet and wireless).

Once IPv6 is disabled for both adapters you can then proceed with leaving a home group. Go to control panel and click home group (with small icons as display style) and simplyt click on leave home group. it will then let you leave the home group you are most likley apart of, causing this sleep issue.

I have done several tests and have confirmed that this resolves the sleep issue in Windows 8.1 on my Dell XPS 8700. On a side note though, I have noticed a few issues still present.

1. Sleep mode may take up to 7 minutes longer to actually sleep than specified time in Power settings

2. A restart of the PC always takes 2 minutes with 8.1 on my Dell XPS 8700.

8. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

baklogic,
    Thanks very much! Leaving the Home Group fixed the problem. The way my network is set up, I did not have to disable the IPv6 TCP/IP protocols to leave the Home Group.

Thanks again for helping me to fix this problem.

Charles

9. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Good show!:)

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is nice to find an elusive answer- Good to hear !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds