Windows 7 will only load in Safe Mode, blue screen when trying to boot normally

Discussion in 'Software' started by TeamLouie, Mar 15, 2012.

1. TeamLouie

TeamLouie Private E-2

Hey MG! First time poster, here, though I have used the forum as a resource before. Anyhoo, here's my issue.

I was installing some new drivers a few days ago and my computer received a blue restart screen (not really out of the ordinary). When it tried to restart, before it got to my login screen, the blue screen popped up again and the compter automatically restarted. It gave me the option to go back to a restore point, so I did, but that doesn't help anything. Luckily, I can log in using Safe Mode with Networking. Any tips on how I can get this up and working again?

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

The System Restore you did, was that to a point before you updated the drivers? That should have reset the drivers to the old version.

If not, can you (in Safe Mode) go to task Manager, and roll the drivers back individually?

If that still does not help, what are the details of the blue screen?

3. TeamLouie

TeamLouie Private E-2

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would try as pwillener mentioned see if you can get into safe mode (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with Networking) and see if Windows boots first off then uninstall the drivers you updated.

Did you by any chance use a driver updater application to check on new drivers?

But a similar BSOD may not help as it would have to be the exact message you get in the BSOD code and the faulting application to help find your cause.

5. TeamLouie

TeamLouie Private E-2

6. TeamLouie

TeamLouie Private E-2

Okay, I manually uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled. Everything seems to be working now.

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I have used DriverMax for many years, and I liked it a great deal. However, recently (since version 5) it has drastically changed: it does no longer show you what the suggested driver updates are, nor does it let you choose which ones to install.

I still use DriverMax from time to time to see if newer drivers are available, but I always go to the manufacturers' support websites to actually download the driver updates. I can no longer trust DriverMax to select the correct updates for my system.

P.S. there are many people who will warn you against updating drivers, and your case shows that it may indeed cause big problems if not done correctly. On the other hand, many new softwares (Flash Player, for example) require updated video drivers to run correctly. So updating device drivers is sometimes required, but precautions should be taken, e.g. a System Restore Point, or even better a full system backup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds