Windows 7 won't boot - Boot Configuration Corrupt, tried (almost) everything

Discussion in 'Software' started by benjaminswill, Apr 1, 2015.

1. benjaminswill

benjaminswill Private E-2

Hi Folks,

I have a pretty serious problem that I've already gone through a number of steps to try and remedy, to no avail. I'll go through the history and let you know where I am now.

My computer crashed about a week ago - I'm running windows 7 x64 home premium on an acer 5742 laptop. I cant remember exactly what it said, but I believe it went through the usual "fatal error" blue screen of death stuff and something about a crash memory dump. I turned the computer off during the memory dump because it seemed to have frozen. This happens with relative frequency with this computer, usually brought on by overheating. Usually the regular automatic recovery fixes the issue (at least temporarily).

This time however I got the "Windows Boot Manager" error when I started up the computer next. With "Windows failed to start...Insert your windows installation disc..."

I put an installation disk on a usb drive and tried automatic repair

I can't remember the file, code, or info. But automatic repair was failing with these details:

Automatic repair failed with these details:

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: -1

Problem Signature 05: External Media

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: Missing Boot Manager

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

it may have been something with the bootloader since I ended up following all the instructions here: https://neosmart.net/wiki/recovering...ws-bootloader/

I rebuild the bootloader with all the "nuclear holocaust" instructions, but now when I go to boot from the HDD I get the same "Windows failed to start..." screen with:

Files: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Status 0xc000000f

Info: Selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

Running auto repair from the recovery disk gives me:

"Startup repair is unable to repair the computer automatically" with the details:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 0

Problem Signature 05: unknown

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: unknown

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

The Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log gives:

Number of repair attempts:1

System Disk = \device\harddisk0

Windows directory = C:\windows

AutoChk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

Every test is completed successfully until

"Boot configuration is corrupt

Repair Action: Partition table repair

Result: Failed Error code = 0x490"

I tried following these instructions: https://neosmart.net/wiki/winload-exe-missing-corrupt/

bootrec /rebuildbcd gives me:

"Successfully scanned Windows installations

Total identified Windows installations: 0"

sfc /scannow gives me:

"There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again"

but I get that every time, regardless of attempting any other repair.

I also tried using the Easy Recovery Essential Tool recommended on that page and others. When it comes up with volumes to repair none of them have valid windows installations either.

I also followed the instructions here: Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

and get to here: Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues

When I run /fixmbr and /fixboot I get "operation completed successfully"

when I run /scanos and /rebuildbcd I get "successfully scanned.... total identified...0"

bootsect /nt60 sys gives me a successful message but booting from the HDD gives me the same error and system repair gives me the same errors as well.

At this point I would be happy to get the files off and reinstall windows, but unfortunately the 450gig partition with all the files is listed in the RAW filesystem and I can’t access it.

Thank you all very much for your help - happy to try and post anything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds