Windows 7 Won't format new harddrive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by big_fella_andy, Feb 24, 2011.

1. big_fella_andy

big_fella_andy Private E-2

Right, i've tried a few things.. So will list everything, it will be a big post. it's got me beat.
    firstly, i've baught a Sata drive (500gb western digital) as a secondary storage drive
    (currently have 2x drives one with windows one with data stored on it)

I've installed it, went to initialize it in Disk Management... and straight away, it's Popped up with the "Windows was unable to complete the format"
    The drive currently shows up as G: (what i assigned it) It's showing as a Healthy Active Partition.
    Tried to format it again in NTFS, and straight away, same problem.
    I've then tried to format it using cmd prompt, and it looked like it was okay, after 1 hour... it popped up a message, the drive couln't be formatted.

Next step i thought my Sata5 port may be a problem, so i got an old harddrive out of another system and plugged it in, windows recognised it straight away, allowed me to access it.
    then i thought it might be a problem with that specific drive and the Sata5 port... so i connected it to Sata3 (currently used by a dvdrom)... that worked fine.

i've took it back to the shop... They've looked at it in their machine, straight away it was recognised... So they done a quickformat, dragged a file on it to check it, and reformatted it in NTFS...

I came back home, plugged the drive in, it showed up as an active drive in my computer showed it's capacity etc... all seemed to work, until i went to access it, and it told me the file system was Corrupt. So tried again, still the same message.

Went to do Disk error check on it, and the drive data just disapeared again... (Still showing up in NTFS though but just as a blank inaccessable drive) just saying that the Drive Parameter is not available.

Tried to format it again... Now it's back in RAW mode unable to format.

Any suggestions as to what i can do? I've tried everything i know.

even tried installing an operating system on it, and this isn't having any of it. *Shrugs* In 10 years of building computers, i'm officially beat. The guys in the shop have offered me a new drive tomorow if i can't sort it, even though i'm 99% Sure it's not the drive.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

So the new drive worked when connected to SATA3? Were you able to format and use it connected to SATA3? Or am I reading this wrong?

If I am reading it wrong then maybe try a 3rd party partition tool like Partition Wizard and try to format using that. If it can format then see if after it synchronizes with Windows if it is seen and useable in Computer.

Might also try Western Digital's drive diagnostic program to see if it finds any errors on the drive. http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&lang=en

3. big_fella_andy

big_fella_andy Private E-2

Sorry meant to say the dvd rom worked fine with SATA 3, but the harddrive didn't work fine with sata 3.
    I tried partition magic, but that didn't work, wouldnt even load because of the drive, and WDs tools won't work because it's in RAW mode, not a fomat which it can handle.

Also, I've managed to format it in EXFat and that works... but it's not what i'm wanting. any more suggestons?

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd say go with a replacement drive--why bother guessing if you can get a replacement drive easily? Might just be a bum drive.

If the same problems re-occur with a new drive then we know it is something to do with the PC setup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds