Windows 7/XP Virtual CPU Support?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gman863, May 22, 2009.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I'm getting confused on which CPUs will support virtualization (XP Mode) in Windows 7.

The limited information I've found so far says only Intel's i7, E8xxx, Q8xxx and Q9xxx series chips currently support it.

I have searched AMD's web site in vain to see which (if any) of their CPUs support it.

If this isn't confusing enough, a recent article on ZDNet.com stated Intel will "soon be adding" the technology to their E7xxx CPUs but gave no information on how to tell if a given CPU at retail (such as an E7400) is an older model or a newer one with the ability to support XP mode in Windows 7.

I'm planning to build a home theatre PC in the next few weeks - preferably using a mid-priced AMD dual core (AM2+) and Asus hi-def mobo. If anyone knows how to get a list of which AMD CPUs support virtual machine (XP Mode within Windows 7) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Yes, I know this is technically both a "hardware" and "software" question; however since most of the Windows 7 Q&A is in software I thought I'd have better luck here.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What you need is an AMD CPU with AMD-V, do check the AMD spec sheet on each CPU but off hand the AMD 64, 64x2 (with f and g stepping on an AM2 + AM2 Motherboard, but not 939 mobo ), Turion 64 and x2 plus the Phenom I and II support AMD-V, remembered form a newsgroup convo on this.

Some more info

Needs to be enabled in BIOS as in most mobos its not enabled by default, I have tried it with Intel Virtualization and works well in the RC.

BUT do need to check the full AMD spec sheet which all of their CPUs have for sopport for AMD-V then gain a mobo that also supports the same, its easier with Intel in this instance.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds