Windows 7- Yet Another Update Problem To Help Solve!

Discussion in 'Software' started by rabhrab, Mar 31, 2016.

1. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Can I start by saying that I have tried many of the proposed solutions suggested by you good folks in response to similar Windows Update difficulties that a lot of people seem to have, without success. These attempts have included the FixIt app, Tweaking.com software and following various other thread suggestions, all without success, so:

I have this PC in my second home and it was switched off between late Nov. '15 until 15/03/16, when I visited my other home and switched it on. It then got busy downloading and installing a considerable number of updates, as you would expect. A couple of days later it started hitting me with the Restart Your Computer to Finish Installing Updates message and despite doing this many times, it gets nowhere. The list on Update History showed a few Updates as Installed but many more as Pending, no matter how many times I restarted the PC. Since running the Tweaking.com software the Update History list says that I have never installed any Updates! The machine is still asking to be restarted continuously and I am at a loss as to what to do to resolve this annoyance. I thought I would update to Win 10 to overcome this, but this also stalls as it says I have to restart to finish installing updates, before Windows 10 will download.

Can anyone please tell me a way of either completing the Win 7 updates, or how I can download and install Win 10, assuming this would then get my machine back to a less frustrating state?

Thanks for all helpful suggestions!:confused:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Restore back to 15 March. Turn off automatic updates. Manually check for updates.

Never try to do 5 months of updates at once. When it lists the updates, single out the November 2015 ones and do them first. Reboot.
    Then do the Dec. 2015 next and reboot.

Do this until you have all the updates.
    Nov. had 13 - 15 updates
    Dec. 9 -15 updates
    Jan. 10 - 14 updates
    Feb. 9 - 15 updates
    Mar. 12 - 13 updates
    I have 4 Windows 7 computers in the house and I posted the lowest and higest number of updates offered depending upon what the computer has installed (NET, Silverlight, Office, etc)

It is never a good idea to try and update the OS if there are problems.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Upgrading to 10, as plodr says, wouldn't be a good idea while the present system has issues. However, providing you have a valid Win 7 product key, you could perform a clean install of Win 10 and leave your Win 7 problems behind you. Here's how -

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

I have to say, as one who was a bit cautious initially about upgrading my main ssystem to 10, it really is a first class system. 7 is solid as a rock for sure, but 10 is rapidly leaving it well behind.

4. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I must say i was very skeptic about using windows 10 but even this OS has it's own quirks to it.But you can disable and mange a lot more with it.I agree with earthlings comment on that.

I have run into so many cases like this plodr.It's not easy trying to determine what will happen with all the updates all at once.

5. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Thank you plodr, Earthling and wile e coyote for the suggestions and comments. I'll try them tomorrow as it's now getting late here in Scotland! I'll let you know how I get on.:D

6. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Again, thanks to you guys! I've now been able to download and install the Updates I'm due in Win 7
    Just need to make up my mind whether or not to go down the Win 10 route, or stick with my Win 7?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Before you do anything, make an image of the updated and working Win 7.

Some rollbacks to the previous version of Windows haven't worked well.

8. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

O.K. will do. Thanks again.

9. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Well folks, downloaded and installed Win 10 overnight, ran successfully for a couple of hours and then I lost internet connection, after an update installed. Kept getting the error message 'network protocols are missing' so looked online (on my tablet) to see if it was me or a recognised problem and lo and behold it's all over the web! Tried various suggested 'solutions' without success, so rolled back to Win 7 and everything now stable and running! Just thought I'd say!

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

rabhrab likes this.
  11. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds