Windows 8.1 Acer Switch 10 - Disk Cleanup Writing To Drive/frozen?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bleepbleepcomp, Jan 10, 2016.

1. bleepbleepcomp

bleepbleepcomp Private E-2

I'm trying to get my tablet/laptop ready for classes and have run into an issue. The harddrive was showing approx. 2.4gb of space left so I wanted to remove anything unnecessary. I ran ccleaner without issue but that did not seem to make much of a dent. I then ran disk cleanup which got stuck on the windows updates section and left my hdd with 782mb of free space now. I don't know what to do without making it worse at this point.

2. bleepbleepcomp

Followed the instructions found here http://windowsreport.com/fix-disk-cleanup-windows-8/ was able to complete disk clean-up, and now have 1.35GB of space which isn't even what I began with before. The disk cleanup is still showing 49MB of files under windows update files which have failed to be removed through this method multiple times now.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

See what effect running PatchCleaner has. You can remove it afterwards.

4. bleepbleepcomp

It installed the .NET framework which took up nearly half a gig and resulted in an error in installing patchcleaner upon reboot.

5. bleepbleepcomp

Tried installing again, success. Said there were 7.1GB orphaned files. Selected move... Went to browse folder and see nothing even with hidden files on. HDD now at 733MB.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. bleepbleepcomp

8. Eldon

What is the capacity of the HDD?

9. bleepbleepcomp

10. Eldon

You need to look at Users. It's taking up almost a third of the space. You need to copy your personal files to an external HDD or DVDs.
    Which is it?

11. bleepbleepcomp

It's technically a tablet. Under the Users folder I can now see the PatchCleaner folder which is where all the files were moved to. There are 6.3GB worth; I'm assuming it is safe to delete these? There are over 100 msp files there.

The only thing I use the tablet for is classes, and those files are kept on a USB drive. The only major priorities I have for installations on the tablet itself is a browser (firefox) and Word, but it's concerning to me to have a lack of space available, especially when I'm unable to take advantage of disk cleanup due to it actually writing more to the drive instead.

12. Eldon

See the MSOCache folder? That's all the setup files for Microsoft Office, not just Word. If you have the Microsoft Office disc, you can delete that folder. If you don't, then backup that folder to a DVD.

13. bleepbleepcomp

Done, and moved the PatchCleaner results as well. Was able to run another disk cleanup without issues leaving me with 8GB of space (woohoo!). Thank-you very much for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds