Windows 8.1 Laptop Updated To 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kryptonite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Private E-2

I got a great deal on a Win 8.1 laptop about 18 months ago. It was not as intuitive as other MS OS updates plus it had this strange bug when typing: certain letteers almost always double typed ( like the word "letteers" in this post.
    Since the PC was under warranty the company tech had me remove and reload the keyboard drivers but it didn't fix the problem. He then had me update to windows 10 and the problem persisted.

Although the pc was virtually new I went to BB and purchased this Windows 10 laptop which has the same issue more often than not ( especially with the letter "e" )

But here is my question: I parked the original 8.1 PC until recently and wanted to go back to 8.1 But it seems that MS has put a time limit on going back to the original OS. Is there a way around this time limit? I do not think that it came with an 8.1 DVD so I'm wondering if I'd have to buy a new DVD and do a clean install or is it simply impossible to go back?

Thanks

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you upgraded to Windows 10, you had 30 days to roll back to Windows 8.1 (or Windows 7 SP1).
    Your only option is to buy Windows 8.1 and do a clean install.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There is a way back, but ONLY if you took an image of the OS partitions when you were running the earlier OS - 8.1 - and still have it and know how to restore it. I did this to revert from Win 10 to 7 on my wife's machine.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/unupgrading-beyond-30-days.304614/

If you don't have such a system image then, as Eldon says, the only way back is to buy 8.1 again. You must be unique in preferring 8.1 to 10. Letters being double typed are never a software issue - it's either a keyboard fault or the result of a hand tremor.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree with Earthliing about the keyboard issue. I have tremors and sometimes get repeating letters (or the key could be sticking slightly on yours).

As far as going back to Win 8.1, you may need to do a clean install. You can create an ISO using the Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool (google for it). The UEFI embedded Product Key should take care of activation and WILL determine which version gets installed.

@Earthling,

On my C2D laptop, Win 8.1 DOES work better than Win 10 so, I prefer Win 8.1 on THAT laptop although I run 7 & 10 on it as well. Dell, itself, only supports XP, Vista and 7 (not Enterprise) for the laptop.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

8.1 worked really well on this laptop too, it's just the UI I don't like. As I said earlier, have stopped all dual booting now 10 is performing so well.

6. mdonah

You can change the repeat rate, etc. in Control Panel -> Keyboard in both Win 8.1 and 10.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Private E-2

About the tremor: It is 99% with the letter E otherwise it occasionally a T maybe it's a message from an Extra Terrestrial :D

It seems that my laptop has more tablet like features with 8.1 than 10 so now that I have a 10 laptop I want to explore the 8.1 system.

Can I buy an 8.1 disk?

8. mdonah

You don't need to buy an 8.1 disk. You can create one using Microsoft's Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool. You'll need to purchase a Product Key for it though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds