Windows 8 hates my Broadcom 802.11n wifi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jul 7, 2013.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Got an ugly issue gents and no answers from those 'lesser' forums :-D

new to me, clean Gateway NV52L15u laptop, comes with windows 8.
    I debloated etc and its a pretty decent laptop [budget gamer...]
    It has an otherwise unspecified "Broadcom 802.11n wireless adapter" that it hates. Lots of issues with it so I have, twice I think, completely eradicated it from the system to the point Windows could not find a driver [which was what I was wanting to do] then I downloaded the latest driver I could find from the ACER site via this systems identical twin V3-551-8469. [i had originally tried the older broadcom wad from the gateway site for this model - lots of issues]. Installed the package in total [instead of pointing device manager to the driver folder]. Per usual broadcom packs a huge hairball of stuff in the package. Rebooted and tried for a couple of days and here are some observations:

- sometimes get a good connection and life is ok for a few minutes - speedtest shows fullspeed numbers for my LAN/AP's etc but then it will inexplicably become unreliable. I have rigorously tested the lan/ap with a bunch of other devices and this notebook is unique in its troubles - ipads, androids, win7 workstations and another win8 workstation all fine.
    - Win8 takes a long time to truly [if it is truly] shutdown when these episodes occur. I don't know if there is a connection I just mention in case you do know...
    - If I try to disable/re-enable the WIFI device, then things get really wacky. in the control panel applet for the task the device will be shown as "hanging" ... that is I get stuck waiting for the device to be disabled, with no feedback [just the circle spinning]. the taskbar widget will show it still connected to the network. When I check it in Device Manager its weirder still... the main first pane will show "no drivers loaded for this device" but when I check whether it is disabled/enabled it shows "enabled", and checking the Driver Details it shows me four driver files loaded and active, and "device working properly"....
    - If I force a reboot after trying the Disable, it will come back "disabled".
    - If I UNinstall the device altogether using Windows 8 Device Manager, but do NOT check "delete drivers", When windows 8 restarts it will find the device [in the background... windows 8 gives no status about such things], and when I go check Device Manager it will then have only two driver files loaded for the unit.

As I type this Device Manager shows a driver ver 5.100.245.20 from Microsoft dated 3/13/2012, driver files C:....BCMWL63A.SYS and ... vwifibus.sys

I would sure love some good input on this. do I need to adjust some default settings, or chant an incantation or burn incense or what?
    if you're familiar with the onboard component, is there a better set of drivers floating out there in the ether? does anyone know how to get the exact specifics of the device? the main Hardware ID is PCI/VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_E042105B&REV_01

Thank you one and all

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Doubt that it is a Windows 8 issue. Most likely a issue with the drivers. If you have the Microsoft driver on there, uninstall it, and install the Gateway driver from http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=4104

Never install Microsoft drivers on any computer, since it has been known since the days of XP, that they do more harm than good. I have gone as far as getting rid of the Toshiba drivers for my Satellite C805D-ST3NX1 Notebook that I have, and install the actual device manufacturer drivers instead.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds