Windows 8 pre-installed - need to double boot with XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by konrad74, Jan 6, 2013.

1. konrad74

konrad74 Private E-2

Hi all,
    Just got a new Dell desktop with Win8 (64). I have a few programs and peripherals that will run only under win XP. They are quite expensive and I can't replace them so the only option is to install win XP on my new desktop (win8 drivers will not be available). I have spent a few days trying to find some info about doing a dual boot with win XP, however, all sites that I found talk about installing win8 on a XP machine. I need to do it the other way around. I currently have only one HD in the desktop, but have no problem installing a separate HD for XP - if that would make the process easier. I know that XP will overwrite the win8 bootmgr/BCD bootloader and use its own instead. SO the problem is how to do this so that I can have an option of booting either into win8 or winXP on startup?? I would really appreciate step by step instructions or if someone could point me to a website with those instructions I'd be very thankful. This is my first time using this forum, so hopefully I posted in the right place. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Does Dell have Windows XP drivers for your PC?

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There are ways to install XP, either in a partition of the main drive or in a second drive, but if XP drivers aren't going to be available there isn't much point.

A better solution might be to set up a virtual machine in Win 8 and install XP in that as you shouldn't then have driver problems. You could use VMWare Player or Virtual Box for this. Both are free and both are very capable.

I run VMWare Player in my Win 8 Pro on quite a modest 6 year old machine, and that has both XP and Vista installed. Both run just fine.

4. konrad74

konrad74 Private E-2

I have a copy of win XP home edition ready to be installed. Just need to know how to do so.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

There are a few solutions. Mine may or may not be popular.

1) add a second hard drive and install XP there either by removing the Windows 8 drive or setting up a dual boot.

2) If you don't want to purchase a second drive, back up to an external disk your present install, make a recovery CD and trash Windows8 with a fresh XP install. We do this at work and have yet to have driver issues. Usually a transition to Windows 8 is not worth it if XP is doing all you want.

3) Start looking at compatibility modes, Windows 8 will probably do what you want but the cost in time may be more than you want to spend. If you want to go this route, post your exact equipment make, model, etc and programs you want to run.

6. konrad74

konrad74 Private E-2

Yeah, #1 is what I need to do. The question remains, how to do the dual boot so that I have a choice at startup which windows to use.

7. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I did not mention that since your system runs now you should go to the device manager and get a list of all your hardware. There are other ways to get the list, but get one. If you change OS you may have trouble identifying what hardware you have like network chipset, sound chipset, etc.
    Some different ways given you have chosen the dual disk route:
    1) When in doubt, CHEAT!
    Low tech and foolproof. Get XP drivers for your network chipset beforehand on a flash drive. Disconnect the Windows 8 drive, plug in the new drive and put in XP. Get your internet access up and finish a normal XP install. If you want Windows 8 in the future plug in the Windows 8 drive. This will be a pain if you change often.
    2) Medium tech and will take a while. Disconnect the Windows 8 drive, install XP on the new drive, plug in the Windows 8 drive (be sure Windows 8 drive is set as boot in the BIOS) and configure the Windows 8 boot manager. Some help for this is here: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-dual-boot-windows-8-windows-7-windows-vista-or-windows-xp
    Windows 8 may not see the XP install, if not post here, otherwise this should be fine. You will always boot into Windows 8 and choose to change to XP when needed
    3) High tech geeky way. ONLY if you have your Win XP and Win 8 install disks. Boot up the XP disk and wipe the drive for a fresh install, then install Windows 8. You will need a ton of drivers and updates, but this should be an elegant solution. Much the same as option 2, but it will come out cleaner. Windows 8 prefers installation after XP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds