Windows 8 Pro + Game Shortcuts = No Pin To Start option.. Lost :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by ExOxE, Jun 2, 2013.

1. ExOxE

ExOxE Corporal

Hi Everyone,

I am unsure where to actually put this topic, so I decided to just post it here in the software forum, hoping that its the correct section to post this any.

I have been using Windows 8 Professional for 5 months now, I took the plunge because I had been fixing family and friends PC's& Laptops, and a couple of them gave me diffirent editions of Windows 8 to put onto their machines once I finished upgrading or fixing their machines. And I noticed that Windows 8, no matter which edition, be it Home, Premium, Pro, etc all boost every system I handled by upto 50% over their original O/S, Usually being Windows XP and Windows 7, I was actually blown away, and besides having to get used to the new UI, its actually a nice and nifty new OS from MS in my honest opinion, sure it has a lot of tweaks and changes in future to be made, but I have found it to be the most stable, reliable, fastest Operating System Microsoft has ever delivered, bare none!

Anyway, I am still getting used to all the features of Windows 8 Pro, but a mate of mine conned me into downloading Steam so we could both purchase identicle games and play against each other, and so far so good, we've been having an absolute blast playing Age Of Empires III and Age Of Empires II HD, Battle vs Chess, Wargame, etc

However, within Steam, it only allows you to create a shortcut on your desktop to each game, so I can load the game by itself when I want to, rather than loading up steam, logging in, then launching the game, which is a pain in the butt when you just want to play an offline Solo game, so I created the desktop shortcut, however, I like to leave my desktop clean, only icon I leave on their is the Recycle Bin, and when I install a retail game, or application, etc, I can usually right click on the desktop shortcut, and Pin it to the start menu, so I can delete the desktop shortcut, and use the Start Screen shortcut instead, which I have organised into specific tiles.

But with these Steam game shortcuts, It does not allow the option to pin them to the start screen at all, which is very odd, as every other time I have tried it, its always offered that option to me when I right click the shortcut on the desktop.

Is their a manual way to add these game shortcuts to my Start Screen as a tile? Or am I shit out a luck as they say?

Cheers,

David

P.S - If anyone has any tips on tweaking Windows 8 Pro or know of any shortcuts that a person could regulary use, ie.. Windows Key + E (File Explorer) or Windows Key + X (System Tools Menu) etc I would be greatly appreciated.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

In the store look for steam tile. That should do what ye need.

As far as tricks, for windows 8, try alt+x.

Everything I did with boring windows 7, I have done with windows 8, soon to be windows 8.1, then 9.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds