Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Or Reinstall Won't Accept Key

Discussion in 'Software' started by FieroGT42, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm getting to my last nerve here due to Micro$oft's blunders.

Win8 Pro laptop had dead hard drive. Got a used drive and put it in expecting to reinstall 8. It has 8 on it already, but the home/basic version from an Acer, so it needs to be reinstalled, or have Pro added so I can upgrade to 10 Pro.

The 8.1 install ISO directly from Microsoft demands a key, but 8 doesn't use stickers. It's supposed to be in the "MSDM" table in the BIOS. It's supposed to recognize 8.0 keys as well, but it just prompts me.

get_win8key errors saying "ACPI table MSDM not found on this system".
    RW-Everything shows no MSDM table. It did show a SLIC table though...

SLIC Toolkit was able to read a key for "Windows 8 6.2 9200" which is apparently Win8.0. It also shows "SLIC Statuss: Validated!" in green and shows markers next to DELL WN09 in the ACPI tab under both RSDT and XSDT. I'm not sure what those are.

The Win8 install ISO rejects this key though! I found a tool called ShowKeyPlus that's supposed to check version and edition of a key, but it says it isn't valid. How can it not be valid? I exported it directly from my BIOS!

The Add Features won't accept my key either to convert to Pro and then do an online upgrade to 10 Pro. It just says it "Can't use that key". I tried the command line tool to change product keys, and it pops up a dialog that it's invalid.

Any idea what's going on?
    Why isn't there an MSDM table? Did they just decide to SLIC this model for some weird reason?
    Why are both the ISO and Add Features rejecting the key clearly embedded in the BIOS?
    What can I do to get a LEGIT copy short of buying another?

Yes, I absolutely own this laptop (bought used) and it absolutely came with Win8 PRO on it. It has the sticker which I can prove if need be. I'm attaching proof of my key in case anyone accuses me of the P word or is hesitant to help.

Attached Files:

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Try it without the key, as you have a digital licence, (see in your picture)
    Just see if you can install further without inputting a key, as we can in Windows 10- I just cannot remember if I could in windows 8, as I never had a digital key with my windows 8, I ha a separate coa.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry , you need Windows 8iso, if that is what it came with then Windows 8.1 will be an update, -your digital key for Windows 8 will only work on Windows 8 original

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

5. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

Sorry, I guess I forgot to say it's a Dell but that is in the pictures. The replacement drive just came from an Acer, apparently.

Using no key gives me a key prompt because somehow it isn't reading my key automatically or it isn't accepting it for the the samw reason it won't accept it being entered manually.

I tried installing with Win 8 core and Pro, 8.0 and 8.1. No dice.

Installing with a generic key also results in Windows refusing to change to my key later.

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You're going to have to wipe the Acer drive, download the Recovery ISO from Dell, if still available, and do a clean install. Your UEFI embedded Product Key should then activate Windows.

I believe you can still get the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 but, if you didn't have Windows 10 installed previously, the Windows 8 Key won't activate Windows 10. The free upgrade period ended.

7. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

I did. There is no MSDM key and it doesn't accept my SLIC key.

Like I said, it will not install using my key, and it will not accept my key later if I install with a generic key.

8. mdonah

Are you using the Dell Recovery DVD for re-installation of the OS?

9. mdonah

On my Dell Inspiron which came with Win 8.1 Core SL OEM, RW Everything -> ACPI Table ->MSDM shows my Dell OEM Key. Because it's embedded in the UEFI, I can't install or "Upgrade" to Win 8.1 Pro on this particular partition. To run anything other than Win 8.1 Core SL OEM, I had to create additional partitions and install other versions of Windows to those additional partitions. I run 7 Ultimate, 8.1 Core (because of the UEFI embedded Key), 8.1 Pro and 10 Pro on this Inspiron.

I tried updating the Win 8.1 Core to Pro by changing the Product Key in This PC -> Properties and in Control Panel -> Windows update -> Add features and was simply met with "This Key won't work".

But, if you get the Recovery ISO from Dell for your particular computer after entering the Service Tag number at the Dell Support site, THAT should immediately activate as soon as you go online (the water mark in the lower right should disappear).

But, if you want 8/8.1/10 Pro on your machine, you're going to have to install Retail Pro to another partition.

baklogic likes this.
  10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Did you t ry without putting a key in- and activate once installed on-line - again without any key, as in Windows 10, that was how I had to do it (would not accept the key from my machine, although it had been activated, before, and then installed fresh ?
    It would have to be the same version you had originally.

11. mdonah

If you're referring to me, I installed the same version that came with the laptop from the supplied Recovery DVD. It activated immediately. I tried to change the CORE Product Key to a PRO one. It wouldn't accept it. I created another partition and installed PRO to that.

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

What type of software are you using to install Windows 8? If you are trying to use the recovery partition from Acer which is on the used drive, it WILL NOT WORK.

You can find clean Windows images here:
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aus47WpmlzFPgSpTAMgwUz11pB1y

The 8.1 image may work. Burn it to a DVD. Make sure you wipe the "used" drive clean. Otherwise, you will need recovery discs from Dell.

If you have already upgraded to Windows 10 and use an e-mail to log in, you have a Windows 10 key saved in your Microsoft Account. You can get a Windows 10 image right from Microsoft. Windows 10 will activate once you log in. No installing other images first to upgrade from.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

"Download Tool Now"

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry, misunderstanding there- I was referring to FiergoGT42--Normally, if you upgrade within Windows, I seem to remember it would upgrade, on restart with a disc in the dvd drive- but the second partition would be an easy way, if you like dual/multiple booting - I assume most of us do, as geeks.
    Wiping the hard drive would be sensible,and re-installing the same version that was on the computer when you got it, should activate on-line without putting a key in,

14. mdonah

And since the Key is embedded in the UEFI, it shows in RW Everything and another program I've used (but, I've forgotten the name of the program which I downloaded from Black Viper).

15. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

What software did I use? I used the official ISOs from Microsoft. Factory restore images are not available from Dell, according to tech support.

I had no option to install without any key. It always requested a key. Reinstalling the same version (or any other) would not accept my key. If I use a generic key, it would initially install but not activate or accept my key after installing. This is all using 8 and 8.1 with Core, and Professional of both. Just no-go no matter what.

After trying everything under the sun, and moon, and every dang star, I had to resort to the dark side with a Win7 activator. This allowed me to use the free upgrade path to a legit version, as it should have had from the beginning.

It's a really glaring failure of copy protection when a legitimate license cannot be installed by any known method after hours of work, yet .. is the P word allowed to be discussed here? ... when the big bad "P word" is the only option.

16. the mekanic

It's not a "glaring failure". There are different types of software, i.e., OEM or retail. The key from a manufacturer machine often will not work with a retail disc.

What site did you get your Windows 8 .iso from? Downloaded from Microsoft?

And the even better question is how did you obtain your license key? Because the SLIC key will not work with a downloaded image. Not all key recovery programs will find the right one.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  17. mdonah

If he installed the same version that was originally on the Dell, he could have gotten the retail version activated through Microsoft. Apparently there was no recovery DVD but, if he had created the backup media from the recovery partition (one of the first things you should do with a new computer), he wouldn't be having this problem and the "P" word wouldn't have been mentioned.

18. the mekanic

Agreed. I have a paid program called "Recover Keys". It not only pulls keys for MS software including office, but thousands of others. For anyone reading this thread, do not run just one free key retrieval software. Run more than three, starting with MagicJellyBean.

IF a SLIC table key would work with a downloaded .iso anyone on the planet could use a generic key to get a free copy of Windows. Don't blame Microsoft for a fault by the manufacturer when they don't give the end user their actual license key.

Had the OP created the proper recovery media in the beginning, well...

19. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

What part of doing everything right to no avail and the only possible resolution being the P word or purchasing a completely new license for what is already owned is not a glaring failure? There have been many massive failures in copy protection, some resulting in massive recalls. Do you not recall StarForce and others that sometimes even broke Windows completely? How about the others that literally were caught covertly and silently installing permanent Windows rootkits? It's nothing new and your personal opinion on copy protection has no bearing on the facts of this instance.

I know this. Been doing this stuff for decades. And, actually, there is no OEM/retail license from Windows 8. It does not exist. System Builder license is not OEM license. The "OEM" license is actually now a unique identifier for that exact PC and copy of windows rather than a semi-generic OEM key as it was in 7.

Yeah, I'm not sure how many times I have to explain that.

I explained that as well. I ran several different key retrieval tools and even posted screenshots of the BIOS information for everyone to see, including MJB and Nirsoft's as well, so that's what... 5 different ones? Maybe more. I lost count.

And yes, BIOS embedded keys are absolutely supposed to work with Windows 8. In fact, that is the intended exclusive method for using them. If you don't understand that, then you don't even understand what we're talking about to begin with. That is absolutely its intended functionality.

Tried that along with several others. You'd see that if you'd read what I typed before jumping to conclusions. I've been familiar with BlkViper since before he added the "ac" back into his handle. When did that happen anyway? Actually, it appears his domain is down now. DOJ.me says it's even been delisted from anywho: http://doj.me/www.blackviper.com

I did. It wouldn't not accept it. I explained that as well.

True, but that's blaming the consumer for a failure of Microsft or the vendor, and it would be equally accurate and perhaps more appropriate to say it wouldn't have happened or been mentioned if their system worked properly, which it didn't.

A consumer has a reasonable expectation of something working as it's' intended to, so which is more to blame, the consumer for having a realistic expectation of correct functionality or a hardware or software vendor for denying such? I think the answer is pretty clear.

I did, and I also explained this already. Yet again, you must not have read anything. MJB, like most others, read from the hard drive.

Had you actually read my situation instead of jumping to conclusions to blame me, you'd realize how useless that is in cases like this. Mine is hardly the first, by the way.

No. Apparently you do not understand the system it uses. 8 does not use generic keys. It uses license-specific keys.
    I agree that it isn't specifically Microsoft's fault, but it's between them and the vendor to not screw the consumer.

Had they not been screwing over consumers, I would not have been screwed over. It really is that simple.

More victim blaming. Excellent.
    Microsoft provides "the proper recovery media" through their Media Creation Tool. There was no recovery partition on this laptop to begin with anyway. But hey, who do I believe, you or my lying eyes? I guess I must have photoshopped all of those photos with the PC that I didn't have running properly at the time, right? What do I have to do, make a live video of it?

The copy protection scheme did in fact fail. The result of said failure was an end-user who owned and deserved a valid copy to not have a valid copy nor a valid key to obtain one. That isn't even arguable. It's a fact with demonstrated causality.

Honestly, I expected better from this forum. I guess it isn't what it used to be back in the day.

20. the mekanic

Did you use recovery software which was created at the time you purchased the machine.

Yes, or no?

Furthermore, you're using an Acer hard drive. In a Dell. If you did not wipe it, and use the original recovery media the error is yours.

We're good at what we do here. Preventing piracy is not a "glaring failure".

BTW, where is our smilie with the cigar?

21. mdonah

From what I read in his last post, he mentions "System Builder". Of course, there would be no UEFI embedded key or recovery partition for that version. And if the Dell came with Windows 7 to begin with, there would be no embedded Key because Win 7 was run under BIOS and not UEFI.

@FieroGT42,

I'm visually impaired and cannot see to read your screenshots. Sorry about that. But, I can see and do read EVERY word that's posted. Until your last post, no mention was made of a system builder's version (if that's what you used).

22. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

There was no recovery partition to do so, smartass. It never had one. Didn't ever exist, ergo that question is completely irrelevant. Yet again, you seem not to have read what I said or you'd know this already.

Did the licensing function of Windows work correctly?

Yes or no?

No. It did not. It failed in its intended function, thus the noun form of that verb is "a failure".

fail·ure ˈfālyər/
    noun
    1. lack of success.
    2. the omission of expected or required action.

Gee, sounds pretty accurate to me.

The hard drive is irrelevant to a BIOS-stored license. Windows 8 uses BIOS stored licenses, which it was supposed to pull the key from the BIOS. It failed to do so despite all attempts.

BIOS.

The original computer the drive came from is completely irrelevant too. I used official restore media, and the result was the same. The media does not care whether you install to a Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate, WD, etc. It is agnostic to the brand of computer the drive came from.

Firstly, that's a strawman you've built by putting words in my mouth here. I didn't call preventing piracy a failure. I called a failure of that data system to be a failure.

Secondly, you didn't prevent anything of the sort.

Thirdly, I had to figure it out on my own after trying all the above possible solutions, none of which worked, so you did not help either.

That was actually the only way to restore a legitimate license because I apparently could not get help to do it any other way. If you want to sit on some high horse, that's your own decision, but the first thing I did was post my BIOS data which clearly show that it had a license, and I offered to show the COA sticker as well. I'm not pirating anything. I had to use an activator to get to a legit version.

So congratulations, you were a stumbling block and irritation to legitimate license repair. *slowclap*

Congrats. Go have a cigar if you think you've earned it by doing neither of the things you just claimed and trolling me instead.[/QUOTE]

23. the mekanic

You don't seem to understand.

Modern machines did not have recovery partitions. YOU were supposed to create recovery media upon your first boot of the machine.

The SLIC on an Acer will not match a Dell. A SLIC key will not work with downloaded media. Too easy to forge.

Your failure to create original Dell recovery media is not Microsoft's fault, or ours.

24. FieroGT42

FieroGT42 Private E-2

Mdonah, sorry to hear that. No, I didn't use System Builder edition. I was stating that there is no OEM version for Windows 8. Instead, there is only System Builder which some people confuse with OEM. I drew this distinction because The Mekanic suggested that I was using the wrong version, either retail or OEM, which is clearly false and a failure to read what I typed before replying. There is no such distinction with newer versions because OEM keys do not exist.

I literally tried every possible version using official restore media. The software simply did not perform as designed, so now I'm being trolled and it's implied that I was trying to simply pirate Windows without a key, despite the evidence otherwise which is obvious to anyone who is not visually impaired and can be corroborated by anyone who can see the images.

This is not your fault, but the mekanic's in my view. I will be unsubscribing to this thread now that his real intentions and beliefs are evident.

25. the mekanic

Did you create recovery media at first boot?

Yes or no?

26. the mekanic

@mdonah:

It's obvious the OP used everything except the recovery media which should have been created the first time the machine was booted up.

27. mdonah

According to the OP, the Recovery Partition never existed so, he wouldn't have been able to create recovery media. But, I don't know if it never existed on the Acer drive or the original Dell drive.

Not existing on the original Dell drive puzzles me since a Dell with Windows 8.0 would have a UEFI embedded Product Key and a Recovery Partition. My Inspiron 15-5555 came with two recovery partitions — a 350 MB Fat32 that used to be labelled System Reserved and an 8 GB NTFS that contained the files needed to create recovery media.

I wish I had the OP's Service Tag Number so I could do more research at the Dell Support site.

28. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I can understand the frustration you were going through, and , unfortunately, having to use a W7 activator was the way you overcame it, but - as you say Microsoft has a few glitches that can sometimes get people tearing their hair out, (if they still have some.)
    Sometimes things don't make sense, even to those with best intentions, and you have to understand that even Microsoft's own people take a lot of time to get things right i.e- updates to cure 'flaws'.
    I kept out of this, as it was repeating itself, but all I would have said was that you did not give us your Dell model (WN09 was all I could see in your pictures) to work on, and the only thing that I could think of was that if the Windows 8 version was an update on a WINDOWS 7 , it would not go straight on a new/different hard drive, and the key would be rejected.

29. the mekanic

There is a hidden partition on a new machine which will create recovery media at first boot.

EVERY retail machine will prompt you to create a Recovery DVD during the initial setup.

There are no exceptions to my knowledge. If you do not do this, it is not anyone's fault but your own.

30. mdonah

Well, I don't have brand new machines so, I wasn't prompted, immediately, to create the Recovery media. My Inspiron was referbed by Dell and my Latitude was bought used.

But, I'd still like more info about the OP's Dell.

31. the mekanic

Every new laptop I have set up with W8 prompted for recovery media. Every single one. In fact, it comes with a warning about not creating bootable recovery media.

If it's ignored, then you get a thread like this. For whatever reason, companies stopped providing recovery discs with new PCs. Mostly because it was cheaper.

P.S. When I worked nights for extra cash at a chain retailer, creating recovery media with a new W8 PC was standard operating procedure. And they got the standard "DO NOT LOSE THESE DISCS" lecture.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds