Windows 8 Services & Task Manager Background Processes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tweety1964, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Tweety1964

Tweety1964 Private First Class

How do I know WHICH Windows 8 Services to run and which ones to disable? I'm semi-computer savvy, but I have no idea what a lot of these are! I really don't want to mess around and disable something vital and screw up my system.

Also, there seem to be a lot of background processes running on my system, some of which I pretty sure are on the Services menu. Once again, I don't want to disable something without knowing what its function/importance. My computer has been acting up recently (delayed mouse movement, slow response, etc) and I went through and cleaned up temp files, defragged my hard drive, and removed a bunch of programs, but my system is still acting cranky.

Can anyone help? This is starting to drive me CRAZIER!!

Attached are zip files of screenshots from the Services and Background Processes from Task Manager.

Attached Files:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Without an in-depth understanding of each service you are courting trouble deviating from the default service set. It's simply shooting in the dark assuming that services are causing your computer's slowness. If the slowness problem is recent then system restore may well fix it. It's the first thing to try anyway.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

I tend to keep everything at default. If you are using a VDI solution, then it may be wise to change the settings to something else.

5. Tweety1964

Tweety1964 Private First Class

It turns out that the problem was my mouse! Who would have imagined? Windows was running slow and was having trouble "detecting my device." I went to Staples and bought a new mouse (Microsoft Comfort 4500 to be exact) and now, the problem seems to have resolved itself. Of course, my mouse WAS over 6 years old, so I should have seen it coming! NO WAY am I messing with any services/background processes unless I know EXACTLY what I'm doing.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Plodr, thanks a million for the link to Black Viper. I checked out the website and I learned a lot. I will definitely spend a lot of time reading his info!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds