Windows 8 Updates Fail to Install, Automatic Repair Fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tii, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Here's the story behind this:
    -Windows downloads and installs updates automatically
    -While shutting down, computer says installing updates
    -While booting back up, it says configuring updates
    -Hangs at a certain percent (Don't remember which exactly)
    -"Failure to install updates. Reverting changes..."
    At this point, it seemed to have froze. So I had to manually shut down the computer.
    -When it starts up again, Windows automatic repair starts up
    -Automatic repair fails, and offers to restore computer to an earlier date
    -Choose to restore; restore fails
    -Tries to auto repair again, and fails again; this time, offers different boot options
    -Choose to boot in safe mode; safe mode works
    -Choose restart option through ctrl+alt+del; reboots normally, everything seems to be working.
    But when I shut down the computer, it goes through the auto repair loop again.
    So far I've been restarting after booting into safe mode to have my computer work normally; I'd put it into sleep mode when I'm off of it. But I'd like to fix this problem and possibly get my security updates.
    When I try to run sfc /scannow from cmd (admin), it states that another servicing or repair operation is currently running.
    Help would be appreciated.

2. Tii

Tii Private E-2

By the way, this isn't the first time an update for Windows 8 has left me in repair mode.
    The last time it happened, the computer's restore point actually worked. Unfortunately, it is not working this time.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

We really need to know which update it is having trouble with.

Can't you just run through the repair process to get back up and running?

4. Tii

Tii Private E-2

I'm not sure which update it is, but the repair process only lets me boot into safe mode, which is how I'm here.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Can you get to the refresh/reset options?

6. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Yes; I refreshed my computer, but unfortunately that did not work.
    I don't want to reset it just yet.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What happens when you try to go to normal mode?

8. Tii

Tii Private E-2

You mean try to boot up normally, right?
    It attempts to automatically repair my computer.
    But if I go to safe mode the way I mentioned in my first post, I can restart and it will boot up normally.
    But if I shut down computer, next time I turn it on, it tries to repair itself again.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to desktop.

Use winkey+r to open run.

type msconfig.

Look at the startup.

Is it normal, or selective?

If it is selective, what has been modified? (there are three sections)

If it is the boot configuration, try putting it in a normal startup.

Click apply and ok.

Click yes to restart.

10. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Alright, it seems like it was modified (I had modified it before for a few non Microsoft services).
    But this time, half of the Microsoft services had been stopped; there is no modification date.
    I tries to boot with all device drivers and services, but when I restart, it goes to the repair screen.
    If I try this while in safe mode, when I restart to my normal desktop, no changes are made in enabling the services.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

12. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Even after disabling the auto repair, it does not work.
    Instead I am given an error code 0xc0000001, and then the option for advanced booting.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

At this point, you may have no other option than to reset the OS.

14. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Update: I found a solution that doesn't require a reset for me... Yet.
    Leaving this here so others can try this, too:
    Follow the link three posts ago to disable auto repair.
    *I also used dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restore health after disabling auto repair; this may help; look it up to see what it does.
    Then, use an elevated command prompt to type in chkdsk /r /f. Choose yes to run at next restart.
    *This is when I disconnected all usb devices and an hdmi cable from my laptop; this may help, but I'm not sure.
    Restart the computer.
    It should then check the disk for errors.
    It might seem to hang at a certain percent, but that's alright; let it run its course.
    This fixed the shutdown problem that I had!
    Then I installed the pending updates, but not all at once, only some at a time, since that is what I suspect to have caused this problem in the first place.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds