Windows 8 Updates Fail to Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by WylieBill, Dec 1, 2013.

1. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

My Dell, Windows 8 desktop will not install Windows Updates. I worked on the Malware Removal forum to insure that no viruses were present and have tried the Windows Troubleshooter many times. It always finds problems but can never quite get them fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

I booted in safe mode, ran the program, booted in normal mode and tried Windows Update. It still fails.

Attached Files:

4. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

I also ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Attached is the report.

Attached Files:

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

6. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

Though I'm running Win8, and Mr Fixit is for Win7 it did find a problem caused by AVG2014 and fixed it. Still the same problem. I also ran the Win8 Troubleshooter, and it also fixed a problem (repeatedly running the Troubleshooter fixes the same problem) but I still have the same errors when updating.

Attached Files:

7. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

Still unable to perform Windows updates. Latest round of "Windows Update Troubleshooter" return the sames errors.
    "Windows Update components must be repaired" followed by a green check and "Fixed"

No matter how many times I run the troubleshooter I get the same result.

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Your comments makes me wonder whether you are truly malware free. Can you post a link to the forum discussion on ridding your system of malware so that we can read it?

I did a search and found this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ot-fixed/99bd8203-bb97-421a-aedd-8e35eb8e7af7 Thought it might be worth a look by you.

9. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I also noticed in post 3 that you didn't run Windows update in safe mode with networking as MA suggested. :)

10. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

11. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

Yes, in an earlier post I mentioned that I tried in safe mode with the same result. I appreciate everyon'e help.

12. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

Also, when I try to run sfc /scannow I get the "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." error.

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

14. WylieBill

WylieBill Private E-2

Troubleshooter is unable to fix the problem. SFC won't run either.

15. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Started a thread about this as well.

He's exactly right, it will fail at these updates consecutively no matter how creative you are. I'm up to my fourth attempt from a clean install. Nothing works.

16. the mekanic

Scratch the "nothing works" statement. DO NOT bother with "FixIt" tools. DO NOT bother opening a window and running DOS commands. DO NOT bother to reset your PC. DON'T waste your time returning your PC, or sending it in under warranty.

DO install all updates not identified as security updates, then at your leisure painstakingly install any "Security" update ONE at a time. DO keep your eye out for KB2871690, as this will fail EVERY TIME if you don't disable secure boot, an enable it after the update. PAY NO ATTENTION to those who tell you KB2871777 is a required prerequisite. Even if you have it (and make sure you do) it will not help you with the failure.

Good luck folks, and here is a tutorial in case you don't know how to disable Secure Boot:

http://www.maketecheasier.com/disable-secure-boot-in-windows-8/

17. the mekanic

18. theefool

theefool Geekified

I would love to have a virtual clone of this pc with this issue, not sure if that is possible. If it was possible, I would hit it hard looking into this issue. I've worked on multiple computers running windows 8 (8.1) with no issues on updates.

19. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Had issue like this on a Surface with Windows 8 on it that would not install updates to allow Windows 8.1 to show and like some have said the Fixit didn't work, I do think it helped in some small fashion to fix some components and not all.

So what I tried next was the old fashioned reg file fix way and the below copy into a Notepad file and then chose save as, in the File Type box choose All Files and name the file WUfix.bat and save to desktop they right click and Run as Administrator and reboot and check again Windows Update

May or may not help in your case but worth a try.

20. theefool

theefool Geekified

Just note, that running that will have to be under the c:\windows\system32 directory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds