windows 8 won't let me boot from CD!

Discussion in 'Software' started by luv2roq, Dec 1, 2012.

1. luv2roq

luv2roq Private E-2

I REALLY don't like windows 8 but my new laptop came with it. I have a brand new windows 7 disk, never been installed, that i want to use instead, but i cannot get it to boot from disk. I get into bios and the boot options are "windows boot option #1" only. I added a boot option by adding path to the disk drive but that did not work.
    Does anyone know what I have to do in order to get it to boot from disk??

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Has nothing to do with Windows 8. What it has to do with why the machine will not boot on a CD, is UEFI, and your bios settings. Played around with my son's new Toshiba running Win8, and in all reality, did not have any problems doing what I did with 7, other than that damn fugy Metro overlay, 8 has.

As for booting off of a CD, what are you trying to accomplish?

3. luv2roq

luv2roq Private E-2

what am i trying to accomplish? i want to install windows 7...

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Why would you want to do that now. There really is no need to do it, if the machine is working okay with Windows 8. I may hate it with a passion, but there are times you need to put it behind you and move forward.

Now if you cannot see the sarcasm, there is more at issue than trying to figure out why you are not able to boot up the Windows 7 DVD.

First check the boot order in the Bios, that the CD/DVD is the first boot device. Then also keep in mind that you need to gather the device drivers from the manufacturer website, since they may not be installed with Windows 7.

5. luv2roq

luv2roq Private E-2

Yes, thank you, I did check the boot order in the BIOS. That is, of course, the first thing i did. The issue I have is that the CD/DVD drive is NOT listed as an option to boot from. There are TWO options, both are called "windows boot management" or something similar and both are for hard drive. I went and added an option, trying to add the path for DVD drive as an option but it has not worked.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Does F12 during the Toshiba screen give you a one time boot menu? Sometimes that has more available devices then the standard boot order in BIOS.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

sach2, the OP did not state what brand of machine they have.

lov2roq, as I already mentioned, it is due to UEFI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uefi That means you are locked into Windows 8. Should have bought a machine from the small business side of the manufacturer that made that machine, so that you could have ordered it with Windows 7, vs. stuck now with Windows 8.

After my netbook dies, I am officially moving over to a MacAir, or Macbook pro. Desktop is moving to being a NAS or webserver/database test box after we get my son's laptop in his hands on Christmas.

8. luv2roq

luv2roq Private E-2

I actually hit ESC to get my boot menu but the boot menu choices are only the hard drive. No other options.
    I was in BIOS and looked for the secure boot option, since i read other places that disabling that would work, but my secure boot options were only enabled or custom, so i went to custom, which allowed me to set options for the various possible boot locations and i set all of them to always allow...but still no luck booting from disk.
    I don't get it!!!!

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

At this point since you are just leading everyone blind, post the manufacturer & model of the laptop in question, due to I am no longer going to play the 20 question blind leading the blind game.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As mentioned you are locked as per boot options you can use are, if they do not list CDRom or USB as an option you cannot fudge it (locked in BIOS) and in part you may find that Windows 7 will not work well as drivers for newer machines running Win8 are different and you may not have a compatible Win7 one, so some hardware may not function.

TBH Windows 8 is good and quick, if you can get past the Metro (tiles) as some do not like that Start Menu option, but there are some 3rd party Start Menu hacks that give you Win7 like Start button if that's the issue, but if its performance then Win8 is better then Win7 in that area.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

David, I found that Win8 is actually slower than 7, due to being bloat heavy.

12. luv2roq

luv2roq Private E-2

TO DAVID GP:
    Actually, now I would have to agree with you in that respect. I gave up on my original plan and instead downloaded and installed "StartIsBack" which returned the start menu to me. It is now very much like 7 used to be only much faster - in every respect!!! YEA!!! Gotta love that start menu...

13. peter333

peter333 Private E-2

Yeah, I bit the bullet and I am running Windows 8 Pro 64bit with the, ehem, complimentary Media Center on a new Toshiba Satellite Notebook. I did disable the UEFI in Bios with the 1st boot being the DVD drive to no avail when trying to downgrade to an original Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM. I'm sure someone will come up with a piece of software that bypasses this UEFI problem. I understand Apple Mac have the same proprietry UEFI to stop messing around with another OS. Likewise, I've found Start8from Stardock good into booting straight to the desktop and finding your old menu start programs. Expect Windows 8 SP1 to fix both the BIOS (through a specific Windows Update download) for your MoBo manufacturer as well as bringing back the Start button. Just like they'll bring back the calendar view of Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2013. What's that you hear? Yes indeed it's the flapping of pigs' wings...........

14. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Since I did not find the answer here. This one explains it quite well:

Basically, you need to disable "Fast Boot", disable "Secure Boot". Once you disable Secure boot, you should be able to change from UEFI OS to CSM OS which enables us to boot from CD again.

Credits to this guy, full video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVJMuYbN5U

15. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

Another thing to remember is that if you are using an OEM version disc it doesn't have the overwrite feature at least mine didn't when I went from Vista to 7.

They have to installed on a fresh hdd. I have an adapter I use to link hdd's to my other computer to clean and wipe the hdd, then I reinstall it. That way I have NO residual from the old version OS

16. nin

nin Private E-2

From Windows 8 I used F12 to get boot options and got the option to boot from cd, no problem.

17. Digipete

Digipete Private E-2

I just spent a day fixing this issue (needing to do a fresh install, booting from disk, so thought I would help confirm some instructions.
    1-disable fastboot, disable secure, switch to legacy
    I had to also change my sata operation to AHCI before it would detect the two drives properly (one is SSD for OS)
    2-set boot order for disc first
    3- this step avoids some other workarounds people mentioned above:
    Don't start the install, go to repair, then to command prompt. Use following commands to wipe disks (since it doesn't seem to let you install overtop cleanly)

Type "diskpart" and enter to run windows partition tool
    Type "list disk" and enter to see the disks
    Type "select disk 0" and enter
    Type "clean" and enter

Repeat for other disks.

THEN reboot (from disk) and do the fresh install.
    It took me much trial and error and online research, not to mention getting half correct info from Dell (my friends machine came from them)

Anyhow this works like a charm for a proper clean reinstall .. I even left the legacy boot running cos there seems no harm and it works properly! Lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds