Windows 95 file trashed - how to recover

Discussion in 'Software' started by SeaDragon, Dec 27, 2004.

1. SeaDragon

SeaDragon Private E-2

I had a "virus invasion", 9 of the nasties. One file 125023.exe was (at least shown as) infected with a dialer trojan. My virus program could/would not clean the file so it was deleted. Upon deleting this file my laptop no longer boots.

How do I find a copy of this file to restore my system?

2. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

That file brings up no hits even on Google, which leads me to believe the virus must've changed the name of the file randomly. When you try to boot the laptop, exactly what happens? Does it show any sort of errors on the screen? Are you able to press "F8" to get the boot menu & choose 'step-by-step' booting? Give as much detail as you can & hopefully someone here will be able to help you out.

3. SeaDragon

SeaDragon Private E-2

Ok, When I try to boot, if I hit F8 I get the Startup Menu. When I select 5 (step by step) I get a divide overflow error. If I select 6 (command prompt only) it hangs and I get NO message, and Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work. BRS time (sorry, {Big Red Switch = kill power}). Selecting 7 (safe mode command prompt) gets the divide overflow error, and again, hangs. However Ctrl-Alt-Del works here. IF I just let it try to start windows I get the Windows 95 screen and then it hangs, BRS again. Choosing Safe Mode gets me a little farther in that I get to where the "line" at the bottom of the Win screen appears to "flow right", however that is all it does, and Ctrl-Alt-Del works. Choosing "Normal" gives me the same results as just letting it boot. In all cases at about 25-30 seconds after the Win screen shows up the hard drive shuts off and winds down. <=========> Now something interesting is happening... I went into CMOS and found that all settings had been re-set. Time and date to 00:00:00 and sometime in 1996. NO hard drive or CD. I reset this and tried to boot. NOW in step-by-step I get the following: Process Sys registry (Y N) I choose Y enter many other commands then get C:\MCAFEE\SCAN.EXE C:\ /NOEXPIRE [Enter=Y,Esc=N]?
    I enter N then Y and NOTHING happens I just keep getting prompted for an answer. (I don't use McAfee). I'm getting more now... If I skip AVG (Grisoft) I get farther. I'll send more when I finish testing. Thanks for starting me on this track.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds