Windows 95 or 98 Install on diskette

Discussion in 'Software' started by hammer0001, Aug 11, 2004.

1. hammer0001

hammer0001 Private E-2

My old laptop harddrive has been reformatted and I've now I cant use the PCMCIA CD ROM. I would like to install either W95 or W98 as I'm only going to run Word and excel. When I attempted to install my version of W95 from floppy I receive an error message saying I need the upgrade version. Can anyone help me please :eek:

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I ran into this problem and my only resort was Linux because it supports network installs.

Runs pretty good with a word precessor and excel type program from openoffice.org

3. hammer0001

hammer0001 Private E-2

Many thanks Wookie for your help. I'll try it and see what happens! :)

4. Hax

Hax Private E-2

You might be able to get a DOS driver for the pcmcia CD from the laptop manufacturer's website.

Are you sure the error message you are getting doesn't say "you are trying to install Windows with an upgrade version"?

In that case, you need a "qualifier" , something that shows you own the version of windows previous to the one you are installing. For Win95, I think that would be Disk 1 of Win3.1 or 3.0 . I don't think a DOS setup disk qualifies but I am not sure.
    I am not sure where you are going to find Disk 1 of Win3.1, lol I used my Win3.1 disks to make the 6 floppys required to boot XP.

Maybe someone on the board could email you disk 1? Check again and ask.

5. hammer0001

hammer0001 Private E-2

Cheers Hax for the advice. Unfortunately I definately get a message saying I need the upgrade version of Win95/98 etc, but i'll check out the Manufacturers website as you suggest. All the best.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds