Windows 98 & Vista. How to transfer files from old to new computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Avalon, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Avalon

Avalon Private E-2

Hi,

I looked through the other threads but can't find anything about how to transfer files from old 98 OS to a new Vista OS. Any ideas on how to do this?

I thought of getting a flash drive and trying it, but it says it will only work with XP and Vista. Is there any way for me to do this or do I have to start over and lose everything?

I purchased a JumpDrive Secure II Plus. I haven't opened the package yet because I want to be sure it'll work with my old computer first so I figured a liitle advice before throwing away $50 would be the best thing to do.

Thanks,
    Avalon

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

98 won't recognize Jump Drives unless a special driver is loaded. You can get the driver for all jump drives from Lexar here: http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html#jumpdriveD
    Here are three other ways you might transfer files:
    1. If you have a gmail account, send the files to gmail using your old computer (98). Open the mail in your Vista computer and download the files and place them where you want them. Note: this is a long process but there isn't any hurry because your files will remain in your gmail account and you can't take your time downloading them.
    2. Burn the files on a CD or a DVD and then install them in the new computer. This has the advantage that you have a hard copy of all the files you want.
    3. Connect the two computers by a USB cable.
    Similar to this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2573060&CatId=445
    Warning: most of the cables I looked at say for XP and Vista. This one works with 98 but it says limited ability with vista so it might not work.
    You can also connect two computers by serial, parallel or a crossover ethernet cable. I showed USB because it is faster than serial and parallel and probably cheaper than purchasing a crossover ethernet cable.

3. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Corsair Flash Voyager usb flash drives come with Win98SE drivers included in the packaging and work.

As a further alternative you could connect a secondary HDD to your old motherboard's IDE controller and then once the data has been transfered switch this HDD over to the Vista pc. Your Vista pc should also have IDE controllers on the motherboard but check first just to be certain.

Good Luck

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Actually there is a generic USB driver for 98SE that makes all flash drives act as plug and play devices. I've installed it successfully on two 98SE computers and can confirm that it works. But to use it, you must go into the registry and delete all the USB flash drive entries. Obviously, this isn't a solution for everyone.
    If interested and you don't mind working in the registry, you can find the generic USB driver here.
    Code:
    http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

5. Avalon

Avalon Private E-2

Thanks for the response and solutions to my problem. I was going to burn a CD and do it that way, but it appears my OLD cd rewriter is not working either. Of course. lol.

Sending my files to gmail actually sounds like a good idea. It may take a while but at least they'll be there.

I just realized after buying my new computer that my OLD printer also won't work with it. I guess the newer printers have different hookups to the computer then the old ones. Deep breath.

Thanks for another solution. I emailed Lexar and they told me JumpDrive sport, firefly, and expression will also work with Win98 so I'll probably take the one I purchased back and get another one that'll work.

I hate computers.:yum

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds