Windows 98SE full version?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matacumbie, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I wanted to get some opinions on having a copy of Win98SE as a backup, considering the restrictions now on XP. If you plan on having several computers or have plans on building a couple of systems, you would always have a OS you could install to test or experiment with.
    Any thoughts......problems or conflicts I'm not aware of?

Thanks, Steve

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Create a partition and dual boot, I do that. That way, your machine runs like always, but you can go to 98 as needed.

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I think I know what you are saying Major, but I currently have a Compaq and only have Quick Restore. I am in the process of buying the components to build a system (have alot to learn) and will install XP on it, but would like to have this system free of all the factory crap.
    I already have a copy of XP Home and almost put it on this computer when I was having so many problems and had to buy a new HD, decided to save it for the one I build.
    It would have been nice to do just a clean install of Win98SE on a new HD without all that other stuff you never use.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Thats true, its an easy way to keep an additional hard drive. Me, I use my additional drive for backing up files. You could buy Partition Magic at any store and partition your drive. This way, you could reserve room for 98 on the same drive. Once you start doing it, you might find it fun to tinker with Linux and other operating systems too. Its actually fairly easy to do, though there is a risk of losing information on your drive when you partition.

Ok, all said, you can still put a second drive in and install 98. You can also buy hard drives with 98 pre-loaded (saw mention of that in a thread here recently) You will need a boot loader to tell the pc what OS to load by default and so you can load 98 when it comes time. We have those in our drive section.

And finally, as another option, I never use brand name computers restore program, but install clean. As long as you write down what hardware you have and\or download drivers before formatting, you do not need their restore program, assuming they sent the XP cd with the computer.

5. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

as an addendem to the major's post, it is legal to use a regular windows 98 SE disc with your compaq if you want a clean install with none of the compaq nonsense. All you really need is the book and product key code that came with your Compaq. Be forewarned though that if you use a regular 98SE disc you will have to hunt down all of the drivers for the unit.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good info, the only disk you get with a Compaq is the Quick Restore, of course this was three years ago so I'm not sure about the new ones.
    Anyway, I didn't even consider the driver issue, could be a problem. I remember reading an article a while back that mentioned Win98SE was probably still the most stable OS.I am sure I will put XP on my new system, but I will check on the Partition Magic program and if I do buy a copy of Win98 go the partition route......would be kind of fun experimenting with different stuff.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds