Windows 98se problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dirtfan50, Nov 19, 2005.

1. dirtfan50

dirtfan50 Private First Class

I keep getting an error ( the system has detected a conflict for IP address ***.***.*.*** with the system having hardware address 00:12:F0:D5:39:6A ) I have ran scan disc and defraged and a few other scans ? Anyone have any ideas? Thank you for any help and I hope I posted in the correct place.

2. TheFish

TheFish Private E-2

Is the PC part of a network?

If so then it means that 2 PCs are trying to use the same IP address. You need to make sure each PC has a unique IP.

3. dirtfan50

Its this pc and it has a router with 2 other pcs on wireless cards? Everything is D-link should I call then to see?

4. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Re: IP address problem

You could do that. Though I suspect there's a mis-configuration at your end.

Is the conflicting IP address of the form "192.168.0.1xx"? (If not, it might help us to know what it is.)
    If yes, you might want to make sure that all three computers on the router have DHCP enabled [Control Panel -> Network -> TCP/IP (network adapter) -> Properties -> "Obtain an IP address automatically"] , so that the router can assign a unique IP address to each of them. I'm guessing that one or more of them has a fixed IP address, with the result that an address is being duplicated.

If you're not using DHCP on your LAN, make sure that each computer served by your router has a unique IP address. If your router behaves like mine (a D-Link DI-604), it will expect each computer to have an IP address of the form "192.168.0.10x". DHCP will normally do that automagically for you starting with 192.168.0.100.

In your first post, you gave us a MAC address [MAC = Media Access Control] as the "system address". You may mislead yourself if you think of the MAC address that way. Presumably, the MAC address you gave us is your router's MAC address. The network card in each computer will have its own MAC address, and each will be different. The router will also have its own unique MAC address unless you've told the router to clone one of the machine MAC addresses. It's better not to think of a MAC address as a "system" address unless by "system" you are referring to a specific machine.

5. dirtfan50

Thank you for the great info. Scott

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds