windows 98SE USB driver problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by mephitis, Dec 31, 2007.

1. mephitis

mephitis Private E-2

I have a windows 98SE computer. I downloaded all the MS Windows 98 updates until support stopped. I regularly use a usb flash drive and regularly connect my mp3 player and my camera to usb ports. No problems.
    I purchased disk enclosure with a 40 gig disk from ebay. It wouldn't show up on my computer so I downloaded and installed a generic USB driver -- NUSB 3.3 I think. A message came up saying I had new hardware and the software was being installed. But the drive doesn't show up - no icon and not listed under My Computer. I've removed and disabled and reinstalled and redownloaded and tried different drivers all that stuff many times. Nothing has made any difference.
    I have connected the disk enclosure with disk to another computer and it works fine.

Device Manager shows:

Storage device--
    USB disk

Universal Serial Bus controllers--
    Generic USB Hub
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Printing Support
    USB Root Hub

No yellow quesiton marks or red x's.

Please tell me what to do. I know a little about computers but I'm certainly not as smart as you guys are about them so go slow and simple with me.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I've had similar situations with other hardware. You need to get drivers from the manufacturer, if they don't have them then you may be out of luck, unless the basic hardware is made by someone else who does have Win98SE drivers.

Basically you'll need to find out if the manufacture has a website, and see if they're there for download.

3. mephitis

mephitis Private E-2

Thank you for responding. There is no brand on the enclosure and I thought just what you wrote -- that I was out of luck. So I bought a new enclosure and put the disk in it. (The chip in the disk is a USB4500 DataStor 0451EI) I installed the win98 driver that came with the enclosure. The same thing happened. So I returned the new enclosure figuring I'd try to resolve the problem with the enclosure I got from ebay. I think there must be something going on that I'm just not informed enough to figure out on my own.

4. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

You can try downloading the unofficial 98se service pack 2 update if you haven't done it already.You can find the download here at MG's. Hope this helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds