windows activation problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by laserbrain, Feb 8, 2007.

1. laserbrain

laserbrain Private E-2

Ok so my girlfriend gives me her pc to fix an intermittent shutdown problem. I identify that its a failing PSU, replace it and its fixed. My next problem however is that when i bypass her login screen it asks for windows activation. I try to go through the activation process but it can't establish a connection and will only allow me to boot into safe mode to actually get into windows.
    Now she has a wireless network card and it isnt showing up. So, I use my own pc to download drivers for it, boot into safe mode and successfully install said drivers. Well, i know there are wireless networks in range, but i cant detect them in safe mode. I dont know if its possible for the card to detect them in this mode so i boot up normall and am taken to the windows activation screen again. I again dont enter her PW and try to activate but again, no connection. I try installing my own newtork card and try to connect using my own cable isp (software isnt required to set this up) but again, no connection. she has a phone modem in there too but she cancelled aol a while ago so she wont be able to connect that way either.
    my question is, am i missing something? how will she get into her main windows mode if she cant activate windows?

2. skippy258

skippy258 Private E-2

Hi i have had the same problem and it is a big pain it happens everytime you change one of the these items e.g:
    SCSI Adapter, IDE Adapter, Processor Type, Hard Drive, Motherboard and even if you take the the HDD out put it in another computer and then put it back in the org computer it come out of you will have to reactivate Windows.

The only way i could do it was ring microsoft by phone on the 1800 number provided then you will have to give them the list of number on the phone activation section in the activate section then they will give you about 20 numbers and letters to activate the product again.

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
    You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

I do not know the phone number as i never wrote it down but it shoud be there in the Activate Windows by phone dialog menu screen.

I hate the Genuine Activate Windows it has made me many headakes and has started to make me look at buying a mac for my next computer i only really use window now to play games online but with the power of the new consles i might turn to xbox 360, or a PS3.

Sorry about the bad news but thats the only way i know other then useing the removeWGA.exe tool but that dose not let it be a Genuine Windows copy so you will not get any of the SP2 updates.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Don't fear Windows telephone activation. It's a Freephone, It's 24/7 and they are very helpful. You need a tone dialling phone however.

Get a paper and pen ready beforehand to write down the string of numbers they will give you. You can type them straight in but I find it best to make sure. You also get a chance to go back if you make a mistake.

Skippy is correct the number comes up when you get to the right point.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds