Windows C++ Runtime Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by jessica_melody, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jessica_melody

jessica_melody Private E-2

I'm trying to install AntiVir Personal Edition 6.34.01.178 on my computer with Windows 98 HE. Everything downloads fine and then when I'm installing at the very end of the instalation process it gives me this error

"Program: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\RARSFX0\UPGRADE.EXE

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

any Ideas??:confused:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

AntiVir doesn't support your operating system.

May I recommend AVG?

3. jessica_melody

but I had AntiVir on this OS before... then we had a problem with windows (missing componants) and had to reimage. I was just trying to reinstall. Do you think AVG would be better than AntiVir?

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'm sorry! The Majorgeeks version is listed as supporting only windows 2000 and up. However, I just checked the Antivir website, and you can download the "classic edition" which is supposed to support Win98.

You could go with AVG, as well. I know for certain that it is supported by Win98, and is easily comparable to AntiVir. I won't say which is better though; I rate them equally. That, and you do NOT want to start that kind of debate here: your thread will reach multiple pages, I'm sure!

5. jessica_melody

ok.. let me make the question something more concrete and less opinion.. which would take up less memory on an old and frail computer?

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Define old and frail:confused: :confused:

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, let me put it this way:

My parents ran AVG on a PII 333MHz w/ 64MB of memory, and never saw a slowdown because of it. However, if you are a memory address and/or CPU cycle meiser, you may be better off with AntiVir. AVG does open three threads with a default install.

8. jessica_melody

well the fact that they run win 98 on this thing tells you something.. no?

At this point Physical memory wise we have 130,503 KB free and 67% of System resources free. I'm not sure what kind of processor it has...

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

If you have that kind of RAM, I'm certain you won't have any difficulty running either! (Assuming of course, that you can get them installed! ;) )

10. jessica_melody

so I guess we're back to the orig. question about the runtime error

11. jessica_melody

Don't know about that... it used to freeze up completly when it was upgrading and you tried to do something else at the same time....

12. jessica_melody

and that wasn't RAM it was physical memory. BTW it's a Pentium III with 128MB Ram so I guess its not soo bad off

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Physical memory = RAM
    And yes, you're right. You'll be fine with either app. Most people prefer to stick with what's familiar. Are you still having troubles installing AntiVir? Even the 'classic edition'?

14. jessica_melody

yes.. I even tried downloading from a different site... still get that runtime error at the end of extraction.

15. TimW

16. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This may sound silly, but try cleaning temp files before the install. I recommend that you use CCleaner to do the job!

17. jessica_melody

I ran ccleaner already after the first time it gave me the error. For some reason Panda doesn't like my computer and BitDefender still has 5 hrs to go. Also ran ad-aware. Still no luck.

18. TimW

I think we're getting to the problem!!! I think you got the bugs!:eek: :eek:

19. jessica_melody

I've scanned with bit defender. cleaned with ccleaner and ad-aware and it still won't download... any other suggestions?:confused: :confused: :confused:

20. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

At this point, I can only recommend you to the malware removal thread. I have to agree with TimW, you are displaying symptoms of a malware infection. (apps won't install - particularly security apps :eek: ) The experts there will help make sure your system is clean, and if you follow their directions carefully, you will be left with an excellent, free, redundant defense against spyware and viruses. If that doesn't help, then I would try installing again after running a scandisk... maybe files aren't being written correctly to the HDD.

21. jessica_melody

ok.. according to the malware guys "They are no visible signs of malware in either log." I"ve tried scanning from here to kingdom come and have reinstalled the program several times...

any other ideas??

22. TimW

There are three reasons why these problems occur. The first is that the web page author made some programming error. The second reason may be that you are running a pop-up killer that closes pop-up windows so fast that the script on the web page fails. The third is that you might have some adware or spyware installed on your computer that opens the script error pop-ups.
    How to disable script and runtime errors
    You can configure Internet Explorer to ignore these script and runtime errors. Please follow this step-by-step guide:

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click on Tools, then on Internet Options.

3. Click on the Advanced tab.

4. Look for the "Disable script debugging" line and put a check mark in the box.

5. Now look for the "Display a notification about every script error" line and remove the check mark in the box.

If this doesn't work, we need to look at your event logs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds